Want to help a soldier/sailor?

Akula

Please, no comments about the war or anything like that. I am posting this to draw some attention to the needs of some of our troops. I have been on long deployments and know what it is like to be missing things I had back in the US.

You can go to www.anysoldier.com and look up a solder and see what they need (AA batteries for things like CD players or flashlights, magazines, cookies, whatever) and put a care package together.

There is nothing like being out and getting mail or a taste of home.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent a care package to this guy and he posted on Anysoldier.com with the following. Good schtuff.

11 Mar 2005:

Dear American Citizens,

WOW!!!! That is honestly the only word that can describe what you all have done. I posted on AnySoldier.com a couple weeks ago, and on the 11th of March I came into work and there was a pile of mail there. It was absolutely positively awe-inspiring. As we sat around (in the tiny amount of time we have to sit around) and read the dozens of letters, I don't think there was a dry eye in the room. I know, I know, Marines aren't supposed to show that smile.gif . Be it from laughing at the hilarious (sometimes a little odd) humor or getting a little tug at the heart from the sincerity, patriotism, support, and emotion shown in the letters, it touched us all.

We, as members of the military, have a good grasp on reality (usually) so we understand that there are those that support us and there are those who don't. We are fine with that. It is differing views which makes our country so incredible. But, none of us realized how extensive that support was. To know that each and every single one of you who wrote took time out of your life, your schedule, and your hobbies to write to a stranger, well, it really shows how remarkable the average American is. So, as we plow through your letters and disperse them to the Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen who need them and want them, please pat yourself on the back. I know for a fact, that in our unit, you all have probably increased the morale enough to sustain us throughout the rest of this year we are here. Every last person back there in the States makes what we are doing over here worth it. If you agree with the war or not, at least you are standing by our side and urging us on. No one will ever truly know what effect that letter they put in the mail will have on someone. As for the letters we got, though, I am certain that each and every one showed at least one Marine that he has a purpose and a foundation. So, each and every one of you WILL get a reply and hopefully a pen pal if you want! Thank you all......from the bottom of our hearts....Thank you. Semper Fi and God Bless.

Sincerely,

Sgt Richard (Andy) Dorsett