Someone want to explain the diff. btwn. DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW.....

RedRocket1647545505

Ok, I just picked up a New Sony Vaio PCG-K35 laptop. It has a dual layer dvd burner. The thing is, I know nothing about dvd burners. Someone want to explain the diff. between all the different types of dvd's to me? What the heck is dual layer? Will a dvd burner burn CD's? It keeps reminding me to burn a backup dvd for the system, I just gotta figure out how to do it. Thanks for the help.

Well, I can tell you that the difference between an R disc and an RW disc is the fact that DVD-R's or CD-R's can only be written to once. Once information is burnt onto that disc, it is done. An RW disc allows for new information to be written over the old, like recording over an old VCR tape for instance.

I would also like to know what the difference between a +R and a -R.

Originally posted by Veritas:

Dual layer means you can use either + or - discs and read either or.

Nope.

Dual layer is just what it sounds, there are two layers on one side, making up ~8GB of space (IIRC, that might be a little off). Right now they are calling the dual layer ones DVD+R DL, so it must be written similarly to DVD+R's (just assuming). I remember someone saying that there's going to be a competing format called DVD-R DL in the future, but I've heard noting of it since then.

IIRC + or - has to do with how the info is physically written on the disk, but that's something I'm remembering from an article a long time ago, so it could be off. What really matters is that you know they are different and not compatible. Most (home) DVD players that will play burnt DVD's like -R/-RW's, but you'll just have to look at the specs to see which one it likes. The one we got for my dad for Christmas will play -R's and +R's. Sometimes you have to play with different media too, because some DVD players can be picky about that.

Originally posted by Veritas:

Most burners are one or the other.

I think all of the one's I've seen (as of late) will do both + and -. Only a few out on the market now will do the dual layer stuff yet (but the media is still expensive).

the media IS expensive. Micro center wants something like 30-40 for a 5 pack of dual layer DVDs, which btw hold 8.5 GB. Driver are getting cheap too.

I picked up a 16X DVD +/-R drive for $39. it also burns DVDR-DL discs at 2.4X. Granted, it was a thanksgiving special, but they can still be had for significantly less than $100.