jefferson township cops are pricks

Guest Redracerx

Originally posted by 0wned:

The officer also revealed to me the real reason behind the stop -- "I thought you two were going to start engaging.". His exact words. Since when can you initiate a stop based upon a premonition?

Cops don't like being wrong, and getting defensive is the absolute worst thing you can do. I'm currently learning that the hard way. Even if you're completely respectful, a cop in the wrong mood will interpret genuine respect as snide snobbery from someone with a nice/expensive car.

As for the premonition? I bet he's had at least one experience with idiot ricers jumping into a race right in front of him, and with two performance cars like a vette and a supra side by side he probably figured you guys were together and out for an evening "cruise". What you got was undeserved.

All the police need is "reasonable suspicion" or "probable cause" to stop you, and search your car.

Reasonable Suspicion:

Facts or circumstances which would lead a reasonable person to suspect that a crime has been, is being, or will be committed.

At this stage, police may detain the suspect for a brief period and perform a frisk. Refusing a search does not create reasonable suspicion, although acting nervous and answering questions inconsistently can. For this reason, it is best not to answer questions if you have to lie in order to do so. Police authority increases if they catch you in a lie, but not if you refuse to answer questions. As a general rule, reasonable suspicion applies to situation in which police have reason to believe you’re up to something, but they don’t know what it is.

Probable Cause:

Facts or evidence that would lead a reasonable person to believe that a crime has been, is being, or will be committed and the person arrested is responsible.

Police may perform a search, and often an arrest. Probable cause generally means police know what crime they suspect you of and have discovered evidence to support that belief.

Many factors contribute to a police officer’s level of authority in a given situation. Understanding the what, when, why, and how of police conduct during a stop is confusing for most people. Varying standards of proof exist to justify varying levels of police authority during citizen contacts.

Side note:

You are damn lucky that you weren't rolling through New Rome, back in the days when they were fleecing the public, or you would still be there trying to make bail.

Owned took the words right out of my mouth and put them into readable shit .. didnt mean to collide everything into one big cluster fuck last night.

As Mowgly was saying, its good to vent on here sometimes, I was not trying to piss anyone off

was a shitty night we were all a little pissed off and tired.

Have a good night everyone!!!

You say the stop was unwanted yet you still had fictitios tags on your car "by mistake" you stated. But how is the officer to know that this is a mistake? Do you know how many times I have run into people that have the wrong tags on their car? To many to count!!!!!! Most people feel that just because they own the tags that it is ok to switch them to different cars as they feel! WRONG!!!!! By law you were driving an unlicensed vehicle....... Sorry about your luck but please pay attention to the tags since you have so many laying around. Make sure the right tags are on the right car before the test drive...... It will save you the trouble of being pulled over by that supid cop for doing his JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, I agree with sawbinder to about 95% here. I think the thing that may or may NOT have happened here is he ran into one of the very few officers that take things a bit to far, or forget to be professional. These do exist, but are few and far between.

I was tought for a VERY young age that police officers are the good guys and deserve respect, and I stick to that to this very day. I refer to an officer as sir, unless she is a female of course. But I did have a bad experience with doing that. I was pulled over for a loud muffler. Officer walked up ask me the normal question "Do you know what I pulled you over for?"

I replyed "I believe it was because my loud exhaust" which WAS loud. " I am on my way back home from the parts store where I was picking up parts to repair it." Which were laying in the floor of the front seat. He ask if I had been given a ticket lately, I replyed "No Sir" At that point he ask for my license and registraion. So I handed it to him and said "Here you are Sir." At that point he seemed to get irritated with me and ask if I was being a smartass. I ask in what way, and he said by referring to him as Sir. I explained that I was brought up to respect police officers and to refer to them as such as a display of that respect. He made another off the wall comment that I was being smart, I repeated that it was the way I was raised to respect authority and that with his statements that it seemed that maybe he was one of the few that didn't deserve that respect. Of course that really pissed him off, so after a complete search of my car, a trip to the back seat of his crusier and about an 30 minutes of being jerked around I was issued a citation for a loud exhaust and sent on my merry way.

I am not saying that all officers are like this. I know better than that. I have a good friend that is on down in Athens County SO. And we talk ablt about law enforcement and I am planning to do a ride along with him now that the weather is milder.

Another situation I was in at home in Johnstown. They as most everyone knows had problems similar to this for a while with some of their officers. They made some changes and the problem went away. Then they have since hired a new kid that has NO business as a beat officer. He has been backed down by other officers here in town for his actions when he was getting out of hand. He stopped over looking for an ex-friend of mine where he walked right into my garage, inquired as to the whereabouts of this person. Then for some reason felt unconfortable enough to reach over and unbutton his side arm as he took a step back. I am still unsure as to why he felt uncomfortable enough to take this action seeing as I was armed with a bottle of hydrogen perxoide and a washrag that I was cleaning up my foot where I had stepped on a nail and my wife standing there with a box of bandaids. Nothing threatening about either of us. If I had a hammer in my hand of a pipe then ok, but a bloody foot and a washrag isn't overly threatening. How that was threatening was beyond me. Anyway, I explained to him that the person that he was looking for was not here and had not been in 3 yrs and that he should contact law enforcement in Ocala Fla because he was down there someplace and they might be able to track him down. I also told him that I didn't have his address down there but I would be more than happy to attempt to get it for him. He said that it wouldn't be necessary and to have a nice day.

I don't have a problem with him coming and asking about the guy. I wasn't aware that he was the dirtbag that he was when I allowed him to stay there for a few weeks. Hence when I found out that he was wanted in Minnisota that washed my hands of the guy. But if he doesn't have the presence of mind and feel secure enough to enter a dwelling (my garage) without first asking permission, then all of a sudden feel threatened enough to unsnap his sidearm (either as a show of force or as an indication of feeling threatened when there was no threat in my opinion) my personal opinion is he shouldn't be carrying a gun to begin with as he's one that will get spooked by some idiot and end up shooting them over them reaching for their wallet or some other stupid shit like that.

I realize that as an officer, you are put into uncomfortable situations where you may feel threatened when no actual threat exists. And that the general public and suspects can tend to do stupid shit at times that heighten the level of perceived threat but that is also part of the job that you do as a police officer, and that an inability to access a situation on the fly will either get them killed or they will end up makeing a mistake, and mistakes with when you carry a gun are never pretty. I realize that we could sit here and talk about all the bad experiences that we have had with police officers, but we could never tell every story about how officers have helped us in times of need because the bad stories a but a page in the millions of pages of the good things that the police do.

Point is this, dude on here screwed up by putting the wrong tag on his car. It doesn't matter that the tag that he had on his car was for another car that he owned. If the letter of the law is to be inforced, which the officer had every right to enforce, he WAS in the wrong for having the wrong tag on the car. But the officer is an employee of the township and his action s reflect on not only himself, but his employer and other men that choose to wear a badge and enforce the law, and should conduct himself as such, not because he's bound by law to, but because it's the professional thing to do.

[ 13. April 2005, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: desperado ]

I understand if he the cop pulled them over for the plates. But it seemed he pulled them over for no reason and then ran the plates and found out they didnt go on the car. I don't understand that, so if I'm correct with those facts then fuck that cop for fuckin w/ people doing nothing wrong. I understand if he pulled them over for legitimate reason and found out or ran their tags and found out, then that would be ok. Or if he ran the tags and found out that they were supposed to be on the dudes other car, I see no reason to take him to jail and impound his car. Once again I might not understand the sitation due to multiple stories and I am not a cop. But I have been harrassed by cops wayyy to much on my bike to not believe they might have got fucked.

Guest 0wned
Originally posted by SAWBINDER:

You say the stop was unwanted yet you still had fictitios tags on your car "by mistake" you stated. But how is the officer to know that this is a mistake? Do you know how many times I have run into people that have the wrong tags on their car? To many to count!!!!!! Most people feel that just because they own the tags that it is ok to switch them to different cars as they feel! WRONG!!!!! By law you were driving an unlicensed vehicle....... Sorry about your luck but please pay attention to the tags since you have so many laying around. Make sure the right tags are on the right car before the test drive...... It will save you the trouble of being pulled over by that supid cop for doing his JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What other reason would it be either than a “mistake” (your emphasis)? The officer ran the vehicle and found there were current tags and stickers registered to the vehicle...hence it was licensed. The technicality was a failure to display the correct plate. It would be another story if no tags existed for the vehicle at all.

Also, the point of my post was he executed an unlawful stop. There was no probable cause. Future events do not count as probable cause. I would understand if he had run the plates and then stopped me, but he did not. In fact, as I stated in my previous post the officer admitted to stopping me based upon his feelings toward sports cars and insinuated I was rich from selling drugs. I can't think of a better example of a bad cop, and if you defend him just because he is an officer then you are bringing shame to officers everywhere, 99% of whom are very good people. Just because you are the police, doesn't mean you are above the law.

When I was stopped he accused me of "blowing" through town and tried to get me to admit I was speeding, which I was not. I knew better not to admit anything and this literally enraged him. I was almost at the point where I thought he was going to drag me right from the car, I was fearing for my personal safety and this was no joke. You’re already in a mentally vulnerable state when stopped by the police, and I was in the middle of nowhere with this cop that looked like he was about to kill me. I was very respectful during the entire time I spoke with him and I will be requesting a tape of the incident, as I have nothing to hide. You can’t treat people that way just because you have authority.

I don't defend those kids that go out and race their civics crazy all over the road, and I don’t think people should defend this guy either. If it were a Columbus officer or probably any other cop, they probably would have just given me a warning and not even wrote me a ticket. I would have gone straight home and changed the plate. The severity of the infraction did not correspond to the course of action the officer chose to follow and his conduct both by professional and legal standards was atrocious.

It’s a shame because I’m smart enough to realize this was an oversight, but there are many people out there who would develop a permanent prejudice to police and law based upon an incident like this, which only impedes the work and makes the job of being a cop more dangerous.

As an aside, I showed up the next day to get the car out of the impound. The cost was over $120 for 5 hours of storage. In addition, the tow operator asked me if he could drive the vehicle to the lot because he wasn't comfortable loading it on his flatbed without damage. I agreed, fearing what may happen. And I had to pay $120 for him to drive my car on my gas less than 5 miles to the impound lot from where I was stopped.

I can tell you I have reviewed the logs and mileage and he not only drove the car 20 miles but boosted it up to 18 psi (boost controller limit). I don't want to think what would have happened if the bc was off, not working or on a higher setting.

I can tell you I have reviewed the logs and mileage and he not only drove the car 20 miles but boosted it up to 18 psi (boost controller limit). I don't want to think what would have happened if the bc was off, not working or on a higher setting.
thats messed up.

i love my accessport. valet mode = the win.

I will not defend the cop nor will I defend you for your actions. I was not there so I am only getting one side of the story. We all know there is 3 sides to every story, his, yours and somewhere in the middle of all of this is the truth.

What other reason would it be either than a “mistake” (your emphasis)? The officer ran the vehicle and found there were current tags and stickers registered to the vehicle...hence it was licensed. The technicality was a failure to display the correct plate. It would be another story if no tags existed for the vehicle at all.

As I stated before I have run into more cars with the wrong tags on them. Some were freshly stolen and some were that the owner just did not care and switched the plates. By the Law you have the wrong tags on the car and the officer can impound the vehicle because the tags do not goto that car. He could have seized the tags and sent them to the BMV and then you would have had to buy a new set of plates for the car that they belonged to.

Sorry that you had a run in with a dick but not everybody is understanding and cares.

Originally posted by SAWBINDER:

[qb] I can tell you I have reviewed the logs and mileage and he not only drove the car 20 miles but boosted it up to 18 psi (boost controller limit). I don't want to think what would have happened if the bc was off, not working or on a higher setting.

Can you print out those logs? Go have the guy fired, I would.

My only thought on this whole thing is that the cop might have been a dick, but here's the facts... you got pulled over for probable cause.... and he found out that you had the wrong tags on the car.... how is he to know that maybe the car isn't stolen but hadn't been reported yet.... I know that you are saying that you were respectful, but something in your posts made me question that... I know that I've been pulled over and I remained respectful with my words, but my tone and body language said something totally different... which of course fed into the cop being worse.

You got pulled over.... got busted for doing something illegal... and you paid the price.... I don't see how you can fight this. Sorry about your luck, but fortunately, I could almost garantee that you won't make the mistake of putting the wrong plates on again.... a expensive lesson learned.

Guest Redracerx
Originally posted by ( . Y . ):

[QB] My only thought on this whole thing is that the cop might have been a dick, but here's the facts... you got pulled over for probable cause.... and he found out that you had the wrong tags on the car.... how is he to know that maybe the car isn't stolen but hadn't been reported yet....

Maybe because I was driving the car, I AM the owner, and the car had valid plates? This was all mentioned in the post. Both sets were actually valid and registered to me. Tags to another vehicle is a very different charge than ficticious tags. Also, I don't care what you guys say but you cannot pull someone over based on "probable cause" that they will be speeding. :rolleyes: Frankly, that corvette that was following me wouldn't be worth the gas -- if I had a dime for every time someone revved at me I'd have enough to pay this ticket; otherwise a tarnish on my good driving record.

I was driving along minding my own business. I haven't heard one valid argument yet that supports either the ticket or the reason I was pulled over.

Mods you can delete or trash this thread if you wish.