VTEC is supposed to be fast, right?

Guest FBody Addict

Guest FBody Addict

Just broke down(no, not my car this time) and finally gave in to someone trying to convince me to drive thier 1.6l vtec civic and see that it was actually fast.

What a waste of my time. No power until 4,000 rpm, manual shift in an automatic on it sucked, the kid has $1,000 in the engine, and my bone stock T/A that weighs 4300 lbs with 190hp is still faster. How much does it cost to make one of these things fast?

Guest Jonnygts
I have a non Vtec 1.6 motor. The only thing i noticed is that i lose alot of power when from 7500-8000 rpm. My friend has a GS-R motor and his pulls stronger and stronger till red line. Im not a fan of Vtec and i dont think it makes ur car uber fast, I do think it helps keep the power up in the higher rpms tho. Just what Ive noticed. What does ur TA run anyway?

VTEC is a little bit faster than the regular non-VTEC engines. It switches cam profiles at a certain RPM, for more HP. The problem is, it's a 1.6L so it has hardly any torque compared to your car. A VTEC car as fast as your TA probably wouldn't feel like it.

Guest FBody Addict
Originally posted by Chris Greene = weak sauce:

if he has a 305 it is probably as slow as a honda anyways

No, just a little bit faster

Originally posted by The Anti-Rice:

What does ur TA run anyway?

Not sure, I'm thinking low 15's to high 15's it also has a 2.77 rear end = more slowness

But, the question was, how much do you have to spend to make one fast? 3 times the amount to make an sbc fast?

Guest FBody Addict
Originally posted by Rump Ranger:

305's aren't cheep to make fast, desperado was telling me of some buildup that was a ton of money and only got like 300 hp out of it, 305 are best suited for boat anchors, trust me i have one

so do I, and that is why i'm building a 350

(yeah yeah, i know, redneck with V-8 and a jegs catalog)

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Take a ride in my car sometime. I wouldn't call it "fast" but it's not slow like the grocery-getter you drove.

What's it run, I may have to take you up on that.

ricochet nailed it. For some reason everyone thinks vtec = fast. (or supposedly)

Not the case at all. Most are there to give an economy car a boost for passing, or get better gas mileage.

The only ones that really see a decent difference in power solely with the addition of vtec are the 99-01? civic si, preludes, and integra gsrs.

So to answer your question... No. smile.gif

Guest FBody Addict

kid i work with has a DOHC 2.2l VTEC(i believe that is the size, not sure) dyno'd yesterday at 235 hp, but he forgot torque rating. isn't it true that overhead cam engines have less torque?

and the way this thread has been, was the best place really the kitchen? i did not intend to flame VTEC at all

Guest FBody Addict
Originally posted by Orion:

no, dumbass.

in that case, i'm not the dumbass, it's the stupid ricer kids who think that thier car is fast just because its a VTEC

i know there are hardly any fast 4 bangers

If you think Richochet's car is fast.. you aughta ride in my turd of a Lumina. I put about 3 ars on you Richochet? tongue.gif

It's all good, you going to be out tomorrow night? I'll have my 18's on.. maybe it'll be a better race.

Originally posted by Slow 86 T/A:

in that case, i'm not the dumbass, it's the stupid ricer kids who think that thier car is fast just because its a VTEC

i know there are hardly any fast 4 bangers

you are the one who asked the question, so, you are the dumbass, dumbass.

and, anytime you want to see how slow my 4 cylinder is, ill be happy to show you.

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy:

VTEC is a little bit faster than the regular non-VTEC engines. It switches cam profiles at a certain RPM, for more HP. The problem is, it's a 1.6L so it has hardly any torque compared to your car. A VTEC car as fast as your TA probably wouldn't feel like it.

Not really. The biggest thing I've noticed about every vtec car I've ever driven or ridden in is that they have no pull until 3800 rpms (give or take). Little engines, no torque, a little horse once you finally reach it, I'm a Honda guy and I don't like vtec. The only vtec motor I have been impressed with is the b18 and I'm still disappointed with its take off... again, not enough pull at low rpms.

Everyone thinks the h22 is a great motor, but the h23 is probably the most under rated motor Honda ever built(for those that don't know the h22 is a 2.2 vtec and the h23 is a 2.3 non-vtec, they were both prelude motors and there was some competition as to which was better). Yes, the h23 is about 20 hp shy of the h22 stock, but the hp curve is much smoother and its got the most torque of any Honda motor other than the crv when you need the torque (at lower rpms).

Just my opinion, but I would own a non-vtec Honda way before a vtec. Neither of my cars are vtec, I opted for the non-vtec versions of both. I mean look at my sig.