Stator and R/R problems on 02 cbr 954

Hcstreetriding

Heres what happened:

After market R/R, stock stator, runs fine for 3 months and then i start it and in five seconds i see white smoke and the plug going from the stator to the rr is compltely fried, and the plug from the rr to the main harness is also toast. I assumed it was a bad rr.

Replace the rr with a oem honda rr, the wiring harness with dogstars harness(Thanks man!) and the stator with an aftermarket stator, here is a link to it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150260849447&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005

put it together and everything is fine, ride about 50 miles everything is fine, then i get on the highway and take about an 80 mile ride and everything seems ok, stop at a buddies house and then start up and leave there and ride another 20 minutes, i stop at a gas station and then go to start it again and its dead. This i imagine is about the time that all of the stator wires were burnt almost completely through. So i bump it and take off riding somewhere where i can store it for the weekend since it was acting up. Go back there to ride it home(had to bump start it) and on the way home after,about ten minutes, it dies on the highway, so i pull over, swear at it for a while, and leave it there. I finally get it home in the back of a pickup truck and take it apart and the three yellow wires from the stator are burnt completely through, not even connected to the plug end anymore. The plug is ok, the rr is ok, the other plug on the rr is ok, there is black soot on everything but i wiped it all off and that was that.

i charged up the battery(already tested it at auto zone and its good) go back, pop it in, leave the rr completely disconnected and start it and its fine, connect the rr to the main harness(no stator connected) and it runs fine. I have not had a chance yet to test resistance on the stator wires or the voltage output on the wires either(it started pouring rain when i was about do get to that).

I have been reading and all of the other cases that i have read so far have been as simple replace rr and stator and then good to go. Welp, done did that. Now im still looking into it, could be the rotor, some other electrical part, possibly just a crap stator, or something else that i have not even thought about so far. I want to get the question out here and see if anyone has any experience working with this kind of thing, its a first for me. Sorry for such a long story, Thanks in advance for any help!

This is a well known potential problem with Aprilia 04+ RSV1000R's. On the Ape, it has been linked to certain electrical connections that had poorly crimped wires...which then led to corrosion, which caused them to overheat and fry the stator. I would check all connections and grounds and then check out this site...

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

Thanks guys, Ill check out the site right now and check all of the connections tomorrow morning.

Just to make clear though, there was no corrosion on any of the plugs, i replaced the entire harness and checked all of the connections at the plugs and from the wires to the plug heads very well. they are all very clean and fit and connected well. I had a bad EDU when i bought it and went through a billion tests before breaking down and getting a new one so everything was examined very throughly. But anything is possible. ill take the whole thing out tomorrow as well, i have another harness that i will put in as well that is known to be a good working harness.

well everything is clean as hell, the tests all check out according to the book, nothing is out of line, i have not changed anything from the time i built the bike except for the tank and that was just the tank, i used the fuel pump from my old tank. everything seems to be straight. Im no professional but i have built a few cars and a few bikes, If something is way out of wack i will usually catch it. but i see nothing. ECU is my next guess........

I am going to try that also, The R/R i have now is OEM, im getting a refund on the stator, they said it may have been a faulty stator. Im going to pick up an oem stator and try that out. I have some tests i want to run still. will keep the forum updated. Thanks

did you replace the Stator or the R/R? just curious, mine is "working" but not properly at the moment, still trying to figure out what the source of the problem is.

Did you take a voltmeter to everything and check it all out? Once I replaced the stator I checked the voltage on everything and its all running smooth now so I wont replace the RR