FOR CRIMINEE'S SAKE PEOPLE - PLEEEEZE LEARN C# - anybody!

I have so many potential positions going unfilled its disgusting. graemlins/doh.gif

I mean its truly making me retch. These are $30-$50/hr jobs for competent jr programmers.

To give you an idea - last week I had to turn away 3 positions in C# field.

February, four. Unfilled. Buh bye. January, three. Zippo.

This week - another 5 came up... yup, down the tubes they'll go, nobody to fill em.

Its getting so bad - I know of a senior programmer position in Cincy, C# thing, that went unfilled for like six months, then closed for a huge amount. Salary too, not contract. We're talking roughly only five years experience needed (in the end) and it placed at ~$120,000 annual. Salary. For a barely sr dev position!

Its getting so bad, whenever a halfway decent C# or .net developer shows up, its like a fukking porkchop thrown in the dogpit, can't beat em off with a stick.

And this spring/summer I'm going to be pulling my hair out trying to fill another 15 C# programming jobs. And there we're talking $30-$75/hr.

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG

So much money, going down the shitter.

PS - I am again compelled to re-iterate that I am *not* a recruiter. I use these people I talk about on projects I'm on. OR, close contacts of mine use them. And if I can't bring the needed people to the table to fullfill the contract ... *phbbbbbbt* - contract goes bye.

And BTW - I will walk away from contracts before I outsource them overseas.

So anyhow - I won't/can't pay you to learn, but if you know your junk, OH MAN can I use you!

Pssst, can we talk? Ok. So guys, I know just by the nature of this board its frequented by admin types with a lot of free time on their hands during the day (Can't shit a shitter) - but guys, I know you may be doing ok as a networker or an admin type, but if you have any gift at all for it, come to the dark side of development: programming. I *guarantee* I can double or triple what you'd make annual up an admin career path. You'll work harder though, I have to be honest about that...

Ok enough from me. I'll shut up now.

Self-taught C# folks need not apply?

In other words, lets say an individual has a programming degree, 6 years programming experience under his belt (split among mainframe and web), is currently a Sr. Programmer, and has taken the time to do every project in multiple C# books. Is this the type of person you are looking for?

The obvious downside is no real-world C# coding.

What part of town are these jobs in? Any chance of a part-time position?

Originally posted by Function GT Form:

Self-taught C# folks need not apply?

In other words, lets say an individual has a programming degree, 6 years programming experience under his belt (split among mainframe and web), is currently a Sr. Programmer, and has taken the time to do every project in multiple C# books. Is this the type of person you are looking for?

The obvious downside is no real-world C# coding.

What part of town are these jobs in? Any chance of a part-time position?

Absolutely apply. If you have real programming experience (not sure what "web programming" is ??? but the mainframe stuff was probably structured programming in Cobol?), understand O.O. concepts (object oriented), and can talk to an architect I work with alot and can be fluent on one's technical knowledge and get buy-in from him, we'd definitely bring someone like what you're describing in. What we'd probably do is sort of a try-to-hire short-term hourly contract thing where we'd assign some non-mission-critical tasks at first, guage their uptake and effectiveness, and move them on from there.

Its not just me, and its all over town. Hell its all over Ohio. C# is happening man. Talk to any small or midsize consulting, contracting, or staff augmentation firm in town, you'll see. The need is so high these staffers are "getting creative".

And I'll be honest alot of them are sick of giving out jobs to H2-ers.

EDIT: Oh now I see what you probably were asking by what part of town. Downtown, northeast, north, northwest, west (above roberts). Not really much I know of east, southeast, south, or soutwest.

[ 08. March 2005, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

Don't worry about certs. Certs aren't what they used to be.

Actually lately some of my biggest bombs have been guys with a big fat list of certifications on their resume. Then they get a week into the job and it turns out they're a turd. I'm almost avoiding cert queens at this point.

Just be able to deliver good code. There *will* be jobs next year you can count on it.

my brother in law is a programmer for a private contractor for the gov't. He programs the program's for the flight simulators at Wright Pat, and wrote one of the control programs for one of the unmanned spy planes. He has worked with Systronics and General Dynamics I believe, think there would be a chance of him getting anything? He and my sister want to move back to Columbus

i am familiar with the visual c# and the .net C# . i have roughly 2-3 years exp. with programming in general and most of that has been in VB6.0 and VB.NET but i do know some C# and would probably be able to hold my own when speeaking with an architect.

[ 18. March 2005, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: gergwheel ]

I did programming in high school, and a lot on my own. It was C++ in school, but mostly VB on my own. Problem was I saw too many people get these high paying jobs, but then laid off as soon as the one project was done, seemed way too risky for me so I gave up on it.