WyoTecher looking for work

McGraw

Was wondering if anyone here was looking for someone who knows a bit and wants to learn a bunch more.

I need a automotive job but I don't know I can fix peoples cars for the rest of my life, so before I apply for the conventional dealership job. Anyone know of any seperate (non-dealership) jobs out there even like a Pep boys or something. I've got to find a place for about $12/hr and a place I can advance.

going to WyoTech, graduate in March with my technical associates degree in automotive technology. I went to the career center for electronics. And I'm taking high perfromance engine building classes on the side from Bill Fleming (hopefully by the end of the class I'll know half of what he does at least.) specializing in Chevy small blocks.

I'm trying to learn more about Honda,Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan blocks. And I looooove fabricating things! (aka breaking and fixing something.)

let me know PM me or IM me Cruisin Monte.

heh hell just IM me sometime I'm generally bored if nothing else.

WyoTechs Career fairs suck ass.

you get like 10 employeers all of which are generally companies never heard of before or like a dealership from north dakota. Which would be cool .. if I lived or had any interest at all of moving to north dakotat I wanna stay in central Ohio though.

and ya never see employeers from Ohio

and WyoTech teaches us how to survive in dealerships, if at all possible I don't know i'd enjoy working in a dealership. Though I might have to the first couple of years ... any kind of real world experience and opportunities are good. I'm still in the learn everything I can mindset, I think I could be good whereever I go.

Originally posted by McGraw:

WyoTechs Career fairs suck ass.

you get like 10 employeers all of which are generally companies never heard of before or like a dealership from north dakota. Which would be cool .. if I lived or had any interest at all of moving to north dakotat I wanna stay in central Ohio though.

and ya never see employeers from Ohio

it is almost impossible to do any automotive work outside of a dealership or mom and pop garage in ohio

plan on moving

Originally posted by Jon:

northwestern is crap, you don't learn anything there. don't waste your money, go to columbus state

wtf. And you know this how? Don't be ignorant. UNOH has one of the best high performance programs in the country.

any no sense in arguing it since you free to think whatever you want.

[ 24. February 2005, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Doug ]

Originally posted by Doug:

wtf. And you know this how? Don't be ignorant.

lol ignorant? buddy you can think what you want. I've visited Northwestern. I know about 5 or 6 guys that went to Northwestern that are now transferring to Columbus State b/c you don't learn anything there. My teacher went there, he even says himself not to go there. I went to the South-Western Career Academy for AutoTech. I'm enrolling at CSCC for Automotive Service Management, don't fucking call me ignorant when you don't know me.

Originally posted by TGrant:

because columbus state offers auto classes

Uh, yeah they do....http://www.cscc.edu/DOCS/AUTODES.HTM... sarcasm can be your friend, but not when you are misinformed.

[QB]lol ignorant? buddy you can think what you want. I've visited Northwestern. I know about 5 or 6 guys that went to Northwestern that are now transferring to Columbus State b/c you don't learn anything there. My teacher went there, he even says himself not to go there. I went to the South-Western Career Academy for AutoTech. I'm enrolling at CSCC for Automotive Service Management, don't fucking call me ignorant when you don't know me.

QB]

wow you visited there. OMGHI2U. I go there and I wouldn't have it anyway.

If your buddies didn't learn anything they probably didn't put any effort into it. Like 90% of the people that go here.

well if it's an arguement of putting effort into it, there really isn't anything on a car you can't learn from a book. As I know a guy who has made a VERY succesful career and has no schooling just decided oneday to start reading and playing.

there all tech schools you got to keep that in mind, not much a school can teach you in the way of a skilled profession like the one we've choosen. They can give ya the theory and basics but for the most part it's trial and error, ESPECIALLY with all the different car manufacturers out there.

anyone disagree?

i think it sucks that you have to go to school, to get a piece of paper, to get a job at a dealership, so that you can do a piss poor job on someones car. Hell my little sister can do that.

The garage engineering, and generation to generation knowledge arent worth anything anymore to businesses.

• 1 month later...
Guest racinbird
Originally posted by Volvolution:

i think it sucks that you have to go to school, to get a piece of paper, to get a job at a dealership, so that you can do a piss poor job on someones car. Hell my little sister can do that.

The garage engineering, and generation to generation knowledge arent worth anything anymore to businesses.

The attitude like that is why techs like me dont give a flying fuck about your car. Treat us right and we will treat you right smile.gif

Guest racinbird

90% of working on cars is knowledge and experience, the other 10% is the right diagnostic equipment. A piece of paper from any trade school or even ASE certification is just that , a piece of paper. If you can not back it up with real world experince then you aren't worth jack. As a ASE master tech and CSCC grad, trust me, I know.

There is a market for good qualified techs, I make a good amount more than a lot of my 4 yr OSU grad friends. Plus my school debt has been long paid off.

northwestern is crap, you don't learn anything there. don't waste your money, go to columbus state

why knock a school that you yourself have never attended? yeah so what you visited. how long were you there? maybe 6hrs for a campus tour and all the other entrance stuff. There are lots of succesful techs that come out of UNO. so go ahead and call it Turbo Diesel University Lost In Mid America Ohio if you want to.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mudbutt
The automotive industry in this area sucks IMO. Since 00 I have done almost nothing but automotive related stuff, from 12v installation,to auto tech, to fabrication. I am overly passionate and succeed at what I set forth to do; yet I always come 2nd behind large shop politics or small shop drama. My love for the hobby is slowly becomming a hatred of the work. I decided last year to go to school to teach and I do not regret the decision 1 bit. Im sure there are just as many disadvantages, but I have met many satisfied teachers, compared to people in the automotive field. Beinc successful with "speed shops" is a tricky game. With every 19 year old starting their own "company" the market is saturated and you have to be very selective whith whom you decide to work for. Do your homework and you can avoid working just another "job"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TGrant

[/qb]

why knock a school that you yourself have never attended? yeah so what you visited. how long were you there? maybe 6hrs for a campus tour and all the other entrance stuff. There are lots of succesful techs that come out of UNO. so go ahead and call it Turbo Diesel University Lost In Mid America Ohio if you want to. [/QB]

Diesel trucks, 350's with carbuerators, and 4 wheel drives are the only way to go. graemlins/thumb.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Pimpin' the Jag

Columbus State has a really nice automotive program...this industry is defanitly not going downhill thanks to our good friends at ford and chrysler(haha i should get a lot of hate posts for that)...and there are plenty of job openings...you dont have to just stick to dealerships, Tuffy, midas procare...etc are almost always hiring especially young/trained people...

P.S if you want a job at a ford dealership tell them you'll spend all day replacing the trannys on the 2000+ 4.0L trucks