Engine cleaning

Tractor

my small block in my toyota offroad truck sees alot of mud and shit and I'm checking with you all to see if there is anything I could put in the oil to clean the engine internals out pretty well every once in a while to keep it flushed out.

Evan

OK, now that we have that wonderful insite from Mr. Grant, we can all just sell our tools with the knowledge that simply changing the oil will cure all automotive ailments.

While there are a number of little bottles that promise to get your engine neat as a pin by simply pouring them into the oil and running the motor for 15 minutes or so and then draining the oil, all the sins of the world will be washed away. The reality is that most will do about the same thing, because contrary to all the BS on the label, the can contains simple kerosene and some other bullshit. The kerosene is the key solvent though. about a pint is all that you will need, put it in, run the motor for a bit then drain it. Refill the motor with cheap oil and a new filter and run it for a while longer, bring it up to temp. Then drain it again, change the filter and put the oil of your choise in the motor. Be aware, do NOT do this with a high mileage motor. The kerosene will wash away any parifin that has collected and is sealing up otherwise bad motor seals. I have done this, and made motors, especially ones that had been run with Quaker State oil (known for creating shit loads of sludge) and made them leak like a sieve.

Guest powers
I've heard from misc mechanics to put atf in with your oil for its cleaning abilities, can anyone confirm or deny this?

ATF does contain detergents in it to help clean up deposits in some areas of a block. But this will not clean out dirt debris and things like this in your motor. The best thing to do is seal the motor up and keep that shit out from the get go. Once it is in there the best thing to do is change the oil and filt regularly.

Thanks guys. I don't really need any cleaners with kerosine in them since my engine probably dumps enough gas into the oil to do the same job.

Its next to impossible to seal a carborated engine well enough to not drink water/mud when fully submerged so I guess I'll just clean it the hard way every time I do it. Or just say fuck it since 350's are free or cheap anyway.

Evan

Well. I wouldn't say that. You could build a box for the carb. Similar to the boxes some guys use for a blow through setup. Then connect it to a snorkel. Have the crank case vents connect to it and seel the oil dipstick with duct tape. That should about keep water out of the engine. As far as the electircal, it sounds like you already have that figured out. Lots of silicone dielectric grease

lol what electrical? theres 3 wires and only 1 of them is even required to keep the engine running.

While were talking. As you know my truck idles alot. actually 90% of its offroad time is spent idling. I'd like to have a good bit of oil pressure at idle and have saw on message boards people mentioning that that can be done by adjusting the oilpump pressure relief valve. I'm not sure where this is, but would it be in the oil pump? I'd replace the oil pump with a high pressure unit, but thats not what I need. I would just like to think that when I'm crawling over something I'm not starving the engine of oil. At least having an auto in it. its not going to be idling over many obsticals anymore so that always helps.

Evan