Black Colbolt SS

70rsz28

First one I've seen(SS). Not a bad looking car, 200hp Supercharged and a 6spd. With a Chip, pully, and exhaust they'll prolly be in the high 200hp range. If they were only rwd or atleast awd. Any one driven one yet/any other opinions on em.

From what I understand, the superchargers on those things come from the factory pretty much maxed out. Pulleying them down won't do much good because it will just generate more hot air.

I'm curious as to what kind of innards they have? cast pistons and powdered rods, or good forged stuff?

From what I understand, the superchargers on those things come from the factory pretty much maxed out. Pulleying them down won't do much good because it will just generate more hot air.

I'm curious as to what kind of innards they have? cast pistons and powdered rods, or good forged stuff?

Yeah I think this is true. You can't get over 12 psi with the charger for some odd reason in the computers or something. I'm not too sure why, but it's true.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/events/racing/ecotec_20L_supercharged.pdf

I have also heard about a limit on 12psi max, but it's not because the s/c can't make more efficiently, it's because of some electronics that limit the amount of boost. I'll look for the info.

Ok, it seems there is a boost control system that will bleed off boost pressure from the manifold if the ECU determines that there is a danger to the engine. However, I have not found out when that actually happens. There are guys who have hit upwards of 18psi on them.

EDIT for more info: http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4433

Read that link if you're interested. Sounds like the internet people only know what it does, but not how it does it. There's some really bad backyard engineering going on with some of these guys. Don't listen to their 'mods' but read what the valve is. I haven't researched the Cobalt that much but I could always ask my buds the the GM inline engine group what the deal is if I have to. ;)

It's quite possible that this so called 'boost control' is an urban legend. It sounds as if the valve is operated mechanically and some people's might just be sticking open. I'll find out soon.

• 3 weeks later...