Mazda stereo codes?

Browning

My g/f's father has been w/o a radio for some time now because he doesnt know the code for it. Is there any way of getting this number without having to pay a dealership? I dont know anything about the codes, never heard about them before. He's not sure if his radio is bad, or it just needs to be re-entered.

He has another radio from another mazda like his, but I dont want to put it in for him and not be able to get it working. Its a mx3 by thew way, early 90's.

Get the serial number off of either radio and any Mazda dealership should give you the code no charge. You might need to prove ownership of the vehicle, but I didn't. You will need the code any time power to the radio is lost(radio removed, or battery disconnected).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scooter

The below sequences may only work on some OEM MX-3 radio models. Use them at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage that is done to your radio unit. If the code is attempted 3 times, you may be permanently locked out.

If you happen to forget your stereo anti-theft code, try one of the following procedures:

1)

Visit these links I have included to try the Mazda way:

Anti Theft Pages 1 and 2

Anti Theft Pages 3 and 4

2)

Press #1 button.

Press Stop/Eject.

Press AM/FM.

Press clock button ---- will appear.

Enter code 4989.

Press Fast Forward & Reverse at the same time, hold for about 2-5 secs.

3)

Press "SCAN"

Press "AM/FM"

Press "AUTO-M"

Press "TUNE-UP", "- - - -" appears on the display.

Press "1414"(MX-3 Decks Only)

Press both "SCAN/AUTO-M" simultaneously for 2 to 5 seconds.

4)

To reset the Anti-theft code to your own code.

Turn the key to the "Accessory" position.

Press and hold "SCAN" and "AM/FM" for 3 seconds, "CODE" will appear on the display.

Press "SCAN" and "----" will appear on the display.

Using the first four "Memory Buttons" change the code digits. (You can enter "0000" to begin with, which will reset the currently programmed code.)

Turn the key to the "OFF" position and repeat this procedure, entering in your own code.

Make sure you keep this code written down somewhere, or you'll have to start over again, hence the name RATS (Radio Anti-Theft System).