Anyone here work with carbon fiber?

Science Abuse

Guest Ponyfreak

Buy the west systems resin. "Buy it now" through ebay offers the best price. Buying from a local vender will cost an arm and a leg.

I cannot remmber what number I used on the resin, but I used the slow hardener and am glad I did. Unless you have small pieces i would opt for the slow hardener.

Structural as in it's not something that's holding the car together and that could mean your life if it failed. Vaccuum bagging will get all the air bubbles out and keep the carbon dense (no ripples or air bubbles after it cures.) Other advantages would have to be researched because I haven't worked with it that much.

All the tubs/cars I know of made out of CF are vaccuum bagged and cured under high heat in a pressurised oven (autoclave). I wouldn't make anything structural without those means since the end result depends so heavily on the process you use and how controlled it is. For our car we made bodywork, seats, dashes, radiator support and shrouds, etc.

Guest Ponyfreak
Wet laying leaves a LOT of extra resin behind, which really increases the weight of the part. Vacum bags and a vac pump are not that expensive and definatly make all the difference in the world as far as weight and appearance. IMO.

• 2 weeks later...