How to replace a CPS and HG?

Bam

I need to replace the camshaft position sensor on my 88 supra as well as the headgasket. Having no expierence in doing anything like this before, should I tackle it myself or see if I can gather somebody to help for beer or the like?

It's the turbo model if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Matt

While this is true, I'd like some advice on how to go along doing this on my own. This is not my daily so I can have it sit for a few days if it takes me. Anyone have writeups on these installs?

Thanks

Matt,

What have you got yourself into now? haha.

Headgasket stuff is pretty straight forward. Might want to look into upgraded bolts and a better gasket if stockers suck. Always helps to be armed with knowledge of supra owners before you, Mudbutt (joel), is really experiance in the 7M. He's over at Forced Fab and is an excellent guy to talk to. Doug on here is pretty into them also.

Otherwise, PB blaster and unbolt, clean to a whistle, follow factory procedures.

Guest mudbutt

Bookmark that, you will use it a lot.

A stock replacement gasket is fine up to ~ the 400 hp mark. I suggest arp studs or bolts as they arent much more than factory, also 80-85 ft/lbs torque. I dont reccoment a metal HG on an older motor. Why you ask? The cost to do it correctly is much higher due to the fact that you have to lap the block and head for near perfect surfaces. If you are aiming for levels past what a proper gasket will hold, it is time for a rebuild. Dougs car is proof that a stock gasket will hold fime on elevated boost levels if the composite percautions are made. There have been people running much more boost than him with success also.

Another Mk3 tip.

Use Thicker oil. Inever used lower than 10w40 but usually ran 20w50. The car, especially with higher miles tend to be finiky on oil pressure. The Gauge is your friend. If you arent at around 40psi at 3k, be cautious and check your oil level/condition. Some owners even suggest running a quart over max. You dont follow these instructions, let pressure drop, and Id put money your name can be put on the wall of owners with spun rod bearings.