racing batteries, red top vs yellow top?

Science Abuse

A marine battery would be a better way to spend your money if you have a car with such nasty pullies that it absolutely will not charge at idle

otherwise, stick with something with enough cold cranking amps that you don't have to worry about hard starts, and you are golden

stay away from the optimas........people think im n utz for saying this but i have pile of dead ones in my garage and we have went thought several of them at the shop. once they get drained down its impossiable to recharge them. just get your self a nice sealed lead acid batt and be done with it.

stay away from the optimas........people think im n utz for saying this but i have pile of dead ones in my garage and we have went thought several of them at the shop. once they get drained down its impossiable to recharge them. just get your self a nice sealed lead acid batt and be done with it.

I did some research on that. It seems that you have to charge them hard to get them to come back. 40 amps or so, and at an increased voltage, 14 - 16 volts.

But I agree that those batteries have a shitty span.

you could go with a 16 volt 3 post battery, and then use a smaller cca battery to save weight. Of course, there is the added weight of the 12 to 16 volt converter to charge the 16 volt side, and the extra hassle of wiring it so that your 12 volt item like the computer and radio dont get fried.

or just use a lightweight battery like anth or the rx7s, but you only get one good shot at starting it.

or trunk mount it so the weight is over the drive axle, then use a bigger batt, and still have a lighter front end.

What is your goal?

You cant put a small crappy charger to them. Bring them up to me and I will put them on a real charger and they will work.