Leakdown test is negative...

Guest Ponyfreak

Guest Ponyfreak

Leakdown tester showed that I have 7 cyl's that are between 6-8% and one cyl that is 40%.

I am getting a leak on the exhaust valve as there is a large amount of air coming out of the exhaust port. I pulled the rockers off the valve spring to see if it was holding the valve down ever so little, but that was not it.

SOO it must be the valve or seat or both. Do you think I could get by with lapping the valve or should I just take it to a shop and get it cut again? Any reputable shops in Cincinnati area??

engine rebuilder supply has all the stuff you need to lap the valves, they are on 62

He lives in KY, look at his 'location' thingey.

Are you leak down testing it with the rockers off or are you just watching the valve when you take the rockers off to see if the move at all (after doing the leak down test with them on)?

I know on DSM's that it may look like it's down but it may not be all of the way. We have to do a leak down test with all the rockers off or it will more than likely come up with a false negative. I'm sure this will be different dependent on the engine/cam/lifters but just an idea.

Was this just something you were checking while your car is down for sake of mind or was the car acting up in such a way that is indicative of valve issues?

I don't know much about engine/head building or valve lapping so I can't help you there, sorry.