Question about turbo's

Bam

Ok, I've got a buddy that is looking to put together a custom kit and someone local to him is selling a turbo. He says its a T3 56 trim. What exactly does that mean? And what is it capable of? Would it be a good turbo for early spool up and mid 200's hp wise? He lives in NY and doesn't have internet so he asked me to research it. I can't find much so I figured I'd post up.

Also, what are things he should check for when looking at this turbo?

Thanks

Matt

Not sure about that turbo but with his engine he could make that power on the turbo that comes on my car stock. And there's someone selling one on the Mazda Forum for $250 right now.

Is his manifold already made? If so, what kind of flange is on it?

Not sure about that turbo but with his engine he could make that power on the turbo that comes on my car stock. And there's someone selling one on the Mazda Forum for $250 right now.

Is his manifold already made? If so, what kind of flange is on it?

Well the way i figure it... if a B18B can make 247whp on 8psi with a T3 60trim, the 56trim (which flows almost as much cfm wise) should be capable of 250ish bhp on a duece.

Well the way i figure it... if a B18B can make 247whp on 8psi with a T3 60trim, the 56trim (which flows almost as much cfm wise) should be capable of 250ish bhp on a duece.

Possibly...I should clarify: When I said "Not sure about that turbo" I meant I know nothing about it. Not taht I had doubts about it's power capabilities.

Mallard, no he has not made his manifold yet, He's making it himself, The guy is selling this turbo with a decent size IC for $200. So it sounds like a good deal, he checked for shaft play and said he didnt find any.

Awesome, well that should work for him.

Spln Sux....you said he won't really be spooling until 3k rpms? Is that right? Even with a full exhaust and larger IC piping? Hmmm

It will be fine for that car. Might spool a little late with the 56 trim, but like everyone else said it should be good for the mid/high 200's. I'd just stick with the T3 flange on the manifold, because he can upgrade nicely down the road when he wants more power.