Back up and running

RVTPilot

As some of you know, I had a small getoff earlier this year at the hands of a knucklehead inexperienced rider. A few borken bones, lots of broken plastic and some physical therapy session later, I am (actually have been for a couple weeks now) back in the saddle. Attached is the only current pic I have of the bike post-op, but hope to have some more soon. Between here and there, I need to give some shout outs for mad props to a couple folks and give a sincere thank you and much respect to.

First, much love and respect to r1crusher, who was my right hand, literally, while my starboard dick skinner was in a cast. The piece l'resistance was him bullseyeing the hole on my brand new right lower for the frame slider. Even all nervous and shit, he nailed it. You know the phrase "measure twice, cut once"? We have changed that to "measure 14 times, cut once, then open eyes". It was dead nuts on, and will look even ighter once the new frame sliders are in. r1, you da man, regardless of your widely known anally derived gerbil snuffing techniques.

Secondly, I must give huge props to Just2EZ05 for the powdercoat job he did on my rims. Stripped the factory semi-gloss (semi-matte) grey antisieze looking paintjob and coated a schweet high gloss black on them. Fantsastic work and in only a week! I can't imagine getting it any better anywhere else. He will most certainly have some work to do this winter for me. Sick, Mike, just sick. Many many thanks!

Looks good man... glad to hear your back riding. How happy are you with the work done by the stealership?

I did all the wok myself, along with r1 and another buddy. I ordered my parts from Ron Ayers and just R&R'd the busted up gear. It was an expensive parts bill, but nothing that would require major mechanical skill was required. Replaced the right side rad, all the plastic save for the left side, the tank (that was a bitch!) and the right side foot and hand controls. I couldn't see paying $55 an hour for someone to do something I have done 1,000 times over. Not to sound cocky, I just like to toy around with my machine. :D

Impressive. I think I feel the same way as you. Except, I don't LIKE toying with my bike, but for $55/hr - I'll work on it myself and get to learn something in the process. And, when you do it yourself, at least you know it's done right.

Exactly. Same goes with my cars. I change my own oil, so I know that quality stuff is going in, not some cruse shop shit. And I am one of those holistic riders that believes that you need to build a relationship with your machine so that when things go wrong, you can recognize it early.

bike looks really clean. welcome back!

were you able to upgrade any parts or jus replaced with stock?

All the aftermarket stuff I put on this time was all replacement harware anyway. I had pazzo levers on it, and a leo vince exhaust. I just replaced the pzzo brake lever, and changed to the two bros CF slip ons. LV doesn't make a CF for the 51, and I found my leo's to be very hot. The two bros look nicer (except I would prefer a Ti mid pipe to the stainless) and are louder. The leo's were good for the money, but I like the two bros better. I just have to get it tuned. I have some low rpm burping going on. When its at WOT, it screams.

Although come to think of it, I did put flush mount front signals on and a ZG double bubble screen, but those were coming anyway.

That's the plan over the winter, with the exception of the case covers. They are magnesium, and I dig the goldish color. But the rearsets and pegs are going to be done to match the frame and swingarm.