Toyota MR2 by Lotus

ohio_wookie

Just doing some internet reading, and found out that my Toyota MR2 was in fact designed by Lotus. Originally it was going to be the new Elan, but thanks to GM, Toyota got the design. I just knew there was somthing about the MR2 that I couldn't get over. I now have 3 cars designed by Lotus. I see a pattern forming :D . That was news to me.

Other things designed by Lotus:

Delorean

Isuzu Impulse

ZR-1 (actually it was mostly just the LT-5 that they designed)

I don't know, I found that off a lotus fact site, I could be talking out of my ass. but one thing that makes me think thats right is the fact that lotus used a shit loads of parts from the zr-1. the ecu in the 90 esprits were from the zr-1, and the trasmission was used in the lotus carlton. but again i could be wrong.

found this online:

It was a development of a 4.0 conversion of the 4pot slant four destined for the Etna concept. Later it was proposed for the Esprit, but they went for the turbo four instead. Then GM came along and Lotus propsed the engine for the ZR1 with a greater capacity. They suggested using it for the Esprit, but there was a market conflict of interest between Esprit and ZR1, so GM used it exclusively. In recent years, after the end of ZR1 production, Lotus borrowed the engine to develop for a year in the Elise GT car.

The original 4.0 forms the basis of experience on which Lotus developed the current 3.5L TT V8. That's just a brief summary of its story, it was a great motor even by todays standards.

i haven't verified any of this information, so take it with a grain of salt...

they probably do share a lot of design aspects, but i seriously doubt any parts will interchange between the two engines. i've heard gm's northstar v8 is also similar.

the LT5 would have needed a major overhaul/redesign to pass the current EPA regs. that's part of the reason GM dropped it.