Impact guns and sockets...

Bam

I've got an air compressor so now all I need is an impact gun/sockets to work on my car. I've got a few questions....

Do they make powerful impact rachets? Most I've seen is like 75ft/lbs. I like these because they make getting into tight areas easier. If not I'll just get a gun.

Next, what should I look for when buying an impact gun? What kinda numbers and all that ish. Don't need top of the line, just basic car stuff uses but a warranty is nice.

Lastly, Can I use impact sockets as normal sockets on my rachet? Like if I buy normal and deepwell impact sockets, could I use the deepwell impacts with my hand wrench? Just wondering since I don't have a normal set of deepwells and if so I could just save me the cash there. I have normal short sockets though.

Oh yeah, how strong is a 3/8ths drive? Like how much force can it take? Should I buy a 3/8 or 1/2 drive impact gun? Just wondering since all my other sockets are 3/8ths.

Thanks

Matt

I could walk you through all of this, but I don't feel like typing for hours.

Get a good 3/8 air wratchet and a 1/2 in impact. Get 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, and 1/2 inch wratchets, extensions, and sockets (both regular and deep well). Get sets of gear wrenches, screw drivers, and pliers (channel locks, long needle-nosed, vise grips, etc.). That will be 90% of what you need to work on cars.

Impact sockets can be used on hand tools, and regular sockets can be used on air tools (but may crack).

In short, you probably could get your questions and more answered and all the tools you'll need, with warranties, at Sears.

If your not getting into the car/fixing cars ALOT, I second Rotarded and say get Craftsman stuff. But remember Craftsman only lifetime warranties hand tools, not air stuff.

Now if you want a good 1/2" impact gun, I'd go with Ingersol Rand Titainium because it's what I use on an almost daily basis. I can't remember what the model number is, but it has 6 or 700 ft. lbs of "tightening" force, along with 1000 ft. lbs of "breaking" force. Snap-On came out with a gun that supposidly could do the same numbers with same air pressure but faster response. Guy I work with bought the Snap-On gun, and mine has outperformed his more than once in breaking bolts/nuts apart when his wouldn't. Not to mention the IR weighs about 3lbs as compared to the Snap-On one which weighed I believe was 7lbs. Expect to spend about $300 for a good impact gun though :)

In your quest for tools your going to find that they are VERY expensive, even for Craftsman stuff.

Impact sockets can be used on hand tools, and regular sockets can be used on air tools (but may crack).

In short, you probably could get your questions and more answered and all the tools you'll need, with warranties, at Sears.

I know with the Snap on/MAC guy here that if you crack/break a chrome socket with a impact he will not warrenty it. Lieing doesn't help either because he knows that's how 99% of the time they get cracked. Now if you crack/break a black impact socket they will exchange it no questions asked.

IR > *

I have a blue point (made by snap on) that i got used for 50, it does a good job. If you have acess to a snap on truck route, matco, mac, or cornwell, you can find some good deals in thier bargin bin. These are usually tools that someone traded in on other tools, or repo from someone that lost thier job or just didnt bother paying the man, so he cant sell it new, and just wants to get some money back out of it.

Alright, cool some good info. I went to Sears last nite and was asking the guy some questions and almost everytime he looked at me like WTF? I just flat out told him I'd never bought tools before and didn't know what to look at when buying.

Few things that I didn't see answers too....do they or do they not make an air ratchet that can do a couple hundred lbs of tq? If not thats cool, just wondering.

I don't plan on fixing cars a lot, just my own, and possibly helping friends every other blue moon. It'd just be nice to have to break loose hard bolts, or for changing tires, etc.

I totally agree on tools being fucking expensive now that i've seen them. Shit $50 for a set of 10 deepwell impact sockets? $30 for a medium length breaker bar? I did get my own hand rachet replaced for free last nite at sears, no questions asked it was nice.

Well thanks guys, I'm going shopping.

Lastly a buddy of mine told me about Harbor freight, he said definitely dont buy everything there but that you could find some things cheap that are worth it, what's the general consensus on that place? And where are the located?

later

Few things that I didn't see answers too....do they or do they not make an air ratchet that can do a couple hundred lbs of tq? If not thats cool, just wondering.

I don't beleive they make one that strong as it would be likely that you would get your hand crushed between the wratchet and something else when it torqued.

There is a Harbor Freight on West Broad, diagonally across frog JEGS.

Harbor freight is up on 161 and cleveland ave.

2441 E. DUBLIN-GRANDVILLE

http://www.harborfreight.com/

You can get alot of stuff there for a prety fair price, but keep in mind almost all of it is china stuff that is not made as well as snap on matco or mac.

I do have a set of metric and sae combo wrences from hrbor freight (pitsburgh steel I think is one of the house brand names) and they work good for general use, just arent prety like a set of polished snapons.

I wouldnt buy an impact wrench there, power tools, or anything tha you will be putting some major hell to.

It would be a good starting point to get tools so you can get the job done, but they most likely they will break, but by then hopefully you have saved enough to get better tools.

As far as the air ratchet in high TQ ratings, I doubt you would find one, since it can only apply as much torque as you can hold, and there arent alot of people that can apply 200 ft lbs to an 8-10" long tool. Kinda a safety thing so the ratchet dosent snap back around and pop your wrist.

I don't beleive they make one that strong as it would be likely that you would get your hand crushed between the wratchet and something else when it torqued.

There is a Harbor Freight on West Broad, diagonally across frog JEGS.

you beat me to it !

A ratchet is not ment for "breaking it lose" it is just for spining it on and off

yeah Harbor Freight is where I get things I'm not worried about breaking. Like prybars and such.

would also get things from there if you don't plan on doing tons of work with the tools.

although Craftsman has got some air ratchet now and a impact gun thats really quiet .. it's awesome .. can't remember the model number though.

would be great if you lived in a neighborhood probably and like me do most your work at like 3 am.