Z06 owners...help me out

AudiOn19s

I'm looking for a car that can server as a weekend / track car. Right now I'm trying to decide between another M3, 996 or Z06.

Obviously the Z06 straight away is the better car...but seeing that it will still also be a street car there's a bit of alure behind the other two as well.

Anyhow...can a Z06 owner please tell me what's required of the cars to make them into a great track car, I rode in an instructors Z06 at Mid Ohio at my last drivers education event that had noisy ass adjustable sways, and r-compound tires and frankly I just wasn't that impressed...we were only turning laps 3 seconds faster than my M3 that was on street tires that day...but maybe this was setup related or something. I recognize the potential of the Z06 not only for power but for handling and would like some pointers on where to start so that I know what will be needed to make it a great track car (coilovers, sways, brakes) as well as the weaknesses of the car.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Yup...only 3 seconds...he said he was having rear tire issues...and I'll admit that he was sliding the rear quite a bit on corner entry that was killing some speed. BUT I expected more on r-comps and with soo much more motor and less weight. To his defense I think that it still had the stock shock/spring combo and only had adjustable bars (which clankd like mad) whereas my M3 has coilovers, sways, camber plates...we were both running hawk HT-10 track pads and even with the weight advantage he wasn't driving any deeper into the turns than me...on a track where HP is more important the difference in lap times would have been even greater...I know with proper suspension setup there's no comparing the two cars...hence the reason I'm looking at a Z06.

oh yeah...and my street tires are Michellin PS2's...not your average street rubber.

Andy

IIRC you own an M3 now right (wife’s car)?

My suggestion is to somehow be able to drive all three on track or at any autocross. This might take some time and persuasion, but that's a big purchase for a weekend/track car. Times mean nothing at those events usually unless you are competing. If you are competing you will usually be in a class with similar cars, so that won't make a difference. The biggest thing is which car you have the most fun in. I want to say that the Z06 should definitely be the fastest around the track. But the people I've talked to say they are quite boring despite the speeds while on track. They just don't have much 'character' in that department.

You can definitely have more fun driving a 'slower' car on a track if the car is more 'fun' for you to drive. So drive anything before you buy and compare.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt three seconds in any kind of racing a HUGE difference?

-Marc

On MO in the same car yes... in different cars, you'll see way more than that. Tires could easily make that difference in the same car. Your talking about three seconds over ~2minutes, not going from 14-11 second times in a quarter mile.

On MO in the same car yes... in different cars, you'll see way more than that. Tires could easily make that difference in the same car. Your talking about three seconds over ~2minutes, not going from 14-11 second times in a quarter mile.

Exactly...plus driver plays a role...I really wasn't trying to compare times other than stating that The Z06 should have MORE of an advantage than 3 seconds if setup appropriately...our M3 is dialed in to be very neutral with a tendency to push at the limit so it's extremely predictable and can be driven very hard...no chasing the tale without LOTS of trail braking. If I dial in a little more rear bar I'm sure the car would be faster but harder to drive fast. (not a good combo when the wife's out there driving it too)

Point is...I know the Z06 is faster...which is why I'm looking at them. My wife has really caught on to the DE's and we're sick of sharing cars so I'm looking for something new. Yes it's an expensive car but on days when I'm not detailing...it will serve as a driver...so maybe my description of a weekend / track car isn't appropriate here...the car will likely be driven 3-5 days per week depending on my detailing schedule.

Andy

Keep the M3 as your daily, buy a Miata and make it a "Spec Miata" for open track days.

To make a car that's fast on track you will hate to drive it everyday. Since I see no point in picking up a huge car payment for a track car I say keep a pimp daily and a cheap, fun, reliable track car that you can buy with cash.

Keep the M3 as your daily, buy a Miata and make it a "Spec Miata" for open track days.

I think the M3 is his wife's daily and the both drive it on the weekends at track events.

I can see where a 'problem' could arise with that.

He's looking for something like his wife's car that he can drive on most weekdays and the weekends on the track so they don't have to share a car at the track and he can have a very fun daily.

I dipped into the 1:47's that day on my better laps...ran pretty consistant 1:49's...going back this weekend to see if I can muster more while still on street tires.

Mallard...a first gen Miata would be loads of fun...and something that I can put through the sand into the damn barrier and walk away from without a care in the world...BUT driving it everyday and getting smoked by a good Dodge Minivan at stoplights isn't want I consider to be fun.

Mallard...a first gen Miata would be loads of fun...and something that I can put through the sand into the damn barrier and walk away from without a care in the world...BUT driving it everyday and getting smoked by a good Dodge Minivan at stoplights isn't want I consider to be fun.

Turbo it.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/

Fuck that...put a 5.0 in it :thumbup:

-Marc

Too heavy if you want the car to still handle well... maybe if it weren't an all steel engine that might be an option. They have a close to 50/50 weight disturbution stock which is part of why they handle so well. Don't want to throw that too far off.

Take 'crap' out of the engine, move battery to back, add turbo stuff. Stay very close to 50/50.

Add 5.0L, throw it off to 60/40.

I've looked into this. No one who wants anything but straight line acceleration does this. If you just want straight line acceleration why start out with this platform?

There's a guy selling a Street Modified 2 prepped Miata right now for 17,500. Not exactly cheap, but it's got a stroker 2.0L with the Flyin Miata supercharger kit, tons of suspension upgrades, too much other stuff to list. It would kill on a track and it runs mid 12's in the quarter.

I'm not saying get this car, but there are many way's around the power problems of a Miata. After putting a race suspension on my Protege and not wanting to drive it everyday I have become a fan of having a nice daily driver and an alternate track car that you aren't making payments on.

Dr. T, I appreciate the offier...I may actually just take you up for a ride in it...don't need to drive it though, just maybe a refresher.

problem is...I feel in love at the track this weekend...There were several Z06's there...many of them extremely fast...but what caught my eye and my heart was something somewhat slower...but ohhhhh so beautiful....and her name is Porsche!

996 (911) Silver, factory aero package, factory sport, Prepared by Champion motorsports, 3 piece 19' Champion forged street wheels, Coilovers, Tubi sport exhaust, Champion computer software, PURE SEX...fell in love with it the moment I saw it (even more so than the GT3 porsches that were there). Rode in it on track and the car's not any faster than the M3 straight line or around the track (well 2 seconds yesterday but that's the difference between him on race tires and me on street tires)...BUT OHHHHH MY...as a daily driver with occasional track use this could be my ride. Worst, or best part is that my wife fell in love with it too. She's never been a 911 person, we looked at them when we bought the M3 and she always turned up her nose but she was the one that pointed out the car and told me to pursue it. Next thing I know I'm setting tire pressures on the M3 and she drives up in it and tells me to hop in!!! Time to go talk to the bank!!!

Boys...I feel a blowout special on details coming next year so that I can justify this bad boy!!!

Andy