trying to decide between SUVs....

88lx5oh

an infiniti QX4

Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

Toyota 4 Runner

Chevy Tahoe

it will be a 97-01 of any make

im wondering whats the better choice of the 4

looking for reliabilty, best gas mileage of the 4 (i know i wont get much cause they are SUVs), i want a 4wd that is not all the time, leather and comfortable interior, decent cargo area to haul my dogs, decent power to get out the way of traffic, and a decent ride.

what are the pros cons of each.. let me know your experience with them if you have had any, or if youve had a friend whos had.

also i have an idea of price ranges on them, but what should i shoot for.

also mention of any other ideas would be good.. im not limited to jsut those four, but i do want to stay away form explorers, jimmys, and blazers.

this vehicle will be replacing my mustang. i will be trading the stang in on it.

from my experience at firestone

infiniti QX4-quality, usually odd tire sizes sometimes hard to find, when stuff breaks its very very pricey

Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer- overall decent probabaly on par with the tahoe for gas mileage. some front end issues but thats the nature of the beast with big vehicles

Toyota 4 Runner-bearings, bad axles, hell a brake job can cost you and arm and a leg.. I'd stay away from the toyota. If you want a luxo suv get the infiniti.

Chevy Tahoe-fuel pumps, injectors, bad front end parts, rotors that crack from severe heat easily.

depending on if you're rich or not get the infiniti first, if you're not go with the expedition. then the ttahoe then the toyota. Best quality suv out there right now is the trailblazers and envoys. I'd look into them seriously bnefore buying a different suv..

I'd easily go with the 4 Runner or QX4/Pathfinder before the other choices.. mostly for reliability and gas mileage, but there are other reasons as well.. Those 4 Runners are damn near bulletproof, and the resale value will be there further down the road.

TurboRust is pretty close to what I think, except for his picks. As with any 4wd suv front end stuff is always the weakest link. Ball joints, pitman arms, drag links, etc. will always need replaced. So throw that stuff out of consideration if it's holding you back between suv's and gas mileage is just out of the question too :) Here's how I see it and my picks from best to worst:

-4 Runner: Best resale value, Toyota reliability, 2nd nicest interior, parts are higher priced except for the QX4.

-Tahoe: $400 fuel pump, about $100 for an injector(s) (both tend to go bad). Parts other than above are reasonable (reason why I pick it over the QX4), but I'd say lowest resale value.

-Qx4: Nicest interior, nice luxury look, Nissan reliability, super expensive parts though, good resale value

-Expedition: It's just last :)

I'd definitly look into the Envoy as Turbo said before I went Tahoe. I've been driving this 99 Envoy now, and I couldn't be happier. It's smaller than the newer bigger Envoy body styles (it's like Ant's blazer for example). But this Envoy is just as pimp as any newer/ other lux suv. Ex., sunroof, heated leather seats (w/Envoy stitched in all the headrests), nice/clean wood grain touches, heated retractable mirrors, power everything, 6 disk cd changer, info center above head, 4x4, and HID headlights. Might want to look into these as well.

so far the one i like the best is the qx4 it rides the nicest of the 4. the expedition is in 2nd, roomy, and i like the interior better than the last 2, tahoe, cause its got some room and impressive power, and the 4 runner is last im jsut not diggin the eroganomics.

- QX4: I haven't even sat in one, so I can't really comment

- 4 Runner: IMO, these are really nice SUV's. My biggest complaint has always been their price

- Expedition: They have never done it for me, I don't like the interior very much, and just seem so insanely big without a purpose for being that big

- Tahoe: Pretty nice, doesn't feel as big as the Expedition.

I'd go for the Tahoe or 4-Runner. But those are two totally different kinds of SUV's. For me, the only reason I'd want a Tahoe is because I'd use it for towing; otherwise that's too big for my needs.

I have the Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer I <3 the interior I dunno who said expeditoins interior sucks but the eddie bauer version is nice all hard leather.

However, it does only get like 350 miles per tank wich cost like 65-70$. It still gets bitches though, and both the back seats are like couches :-D.

110k miles on the big boy truck, no problems.

A buddy of mine has an Eddie bauer Expedition and he has had to replace the front end suspension pieces TWICE now at over $1,000 per visit. There is something wrong with the bars in the front and they get loose or start to squeak and pop and need replacing. If you want something good on gas and to haul your dogs around why don't you go with an Explorer with third row seating, or a Saturn Vue or something like that which would net better MPG.

you're not going offroad, ditch the 4runner.

you want decent mileage, ditch the Expedition.

I agree.

With all the new car programs out there, dont buy any car for "resale" value. Practically speaking, I think the Chevy/Expedition is your best bet. There are so many of them out there because people are dumping them left and right to either buy new ones (employee pricing) or because of gas mileage. You should be able pick one up for a song. The savings you get up front should more than allow for any repairs down the road.

That being said, if you want to go with the QX4, I'd be more than happy to help you locate one (if you havent done so already)

we did have one located at beyers, but it got sold, im going to infiniti of columbus tonight they have 2 that im going to look at, but id love to look at more. locate some and let me know. im not looking to spend a bundle, but let me know what you find.