help with headliner.

gt-titan

no it's going to be like covering a speaker box, but not as hard i think, there's a flat piece of like cardboard that the plastic liner is glued to i want to use cloth to replace replace the plastic. i think the only thing im not sure about is how the material comes up to the sunroof and stays tight. im working on getting the fabric i want, should be sun. thanks for the offer to help, ill get back to ya tomorrow. after i get the fabric.

I'v probably done about 70 headliners in everything from the $200 beater to the $80,000 show car. The first thing you need to do is completly take the old headliner down, and out of the car. Be very careful because particularly in older cars they are very flimsey. Second get off all the old glue. If the board is in good enough shape you can use a da sander to do this, unless its a paper board, however it can dig into it if you arent careful. Then repair any imperfections in the board if it is indeed bad. (Usually only if the damage is major). Then lay your material out close to the liner board. Spray both halfs with a lot of glue. I usually filled my quart sprayer at least twice. Donot soak any area, you want it to sit on the material, not penetrate. Let it almost come to a complete dry. Then have someone help you lay it ontop of the board and smooth flat with your hand. Being careful to get all the air out as you lay it. Then cut the material to size allowing about an inch of overhang all around to wrap over edges, you will need to flip the board over and spray glue on back side of board to secure the inch of overhang. Cut small x's in for the visor mounts. Then re-install. You can use a small screwdriver pick to help locate the screw holes for the visor and clip. Keep in mind smoking is what usually causes the glue to fail, and old age. The board itself can also be damaged by both. Don't bend a paper board or else it will show the bend once done. You can fit any headliner out of the doors. You just have to find the right angle to get it out. The biggest mistake is not using enough glue. The sunroof insert will need to be taken out and done the same way if it is to be covered with the same material.

well on the sunroof the headliner has a hole for the sunroof, and when i took the headliner out i had to remove the inner rubber seal on the sunroof to get the headliner to come out because the material comes up though the sunroof hole and tucks up under the inner rubber seal to make it tight around the sunroof hole inside the car. so from what you have said i guess i could just leave alittle longer part to come up though the hole. and your info is a great help, i should be able to get it done off of that , thanks big help...