Dr. Z06 = KABOOM

Dr. Pomade

As John said in another thread, when you make power, shit happens, stuff breaks, and usually you can't do much about it. You fix it and move on. :)

Exactly, when your going fast you break parts occasionaly. I cant wait to see what you end up doing. :D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I really wanted to race you. Would have been a good race if that number guess was accurate.

I figured you'd take your car there, just don't let them use the same machine shop there using for my car :-p. As far as I know no progress has been made besides ordering parts since the last time I was out and raced linn one on turbo.

Not that IPS can do anything besides wait for the guy to give them my motor back.

Also, neither of you guys ran vs. the black Z thats there now :-p? I would have liked to see a video of that.

Of course the car is going to IPS. As I've said a time or two before, they are the only people who have earned my trust to even touch the car.

Thanks. ;)

IPS held onto my friend’s car all summer (June till late Sep) but the final product was immaculate. Again good luck tilly

Which car was your friend’s? Just curious.

I figured you'd take your car there, just don't let them use the same machine shop there using for my car :-p. As far as I know no progress has been made besides ordering parts since the last time I was out and raced linn one on turbo.

Not that IPS can do anything besides wait for the guy to give them my motor back.

Also, neither of you guys ran vs. the black Z thats there now :-p? I would have liked to see a video of that.

It is a good machine shop (that’s why they are so busy), unfortunately it has just become a black hole for parts lately. The cylinder head for Mike’s Evo has been down there for quite a while now too. :(

Yes I really wanted to race you. Would have been a good race if that number guess was accurate.

Your car is capable of hanging with a 3,000lbs car with 700rwhp from a roll? Damn, you got a quick ride. :) I guess you'll have to wait a few months for that race. However, when we get together, I guarantee you that I'll be bringing at least 700rwhp (and at an a/f ratio that won't grenade my pistons). That Z better be all its cracked up to be! :)

Guest MTI Stroker
Your car is capable of hanging with a 3,000lbs car with 700rwhp from a roll? Damn, you got a quick ride. :) I guess you'll have to wait a few months for that race. However, when we get together, I guarantee you that I'll be bringing at least 700rwhp (and at an a/f ratio that won't grenade my pistons). That Z better be all its cracked up to be! :)

700rwhp? what was ur horsepower n/a? what size shot were u using? Just curious!!!!

700rwhp? what was ur horsepower n/a? what size shot were u using? Just curious!!!!

My initial use of the 700rwhp figure was somewhat faceitious - it was in reference to what power my car was making just before I blew a hole in my piston. In all probability, even as lean as it must have been, it probably wasn't putting down 700rwhp, but, it was probably close to that. :)

My second use of the 700rwhp figure, which is in the comment you quoted, refers to the power levels that I expect my car to be at come next spring.

I dynoed 500rwhp on a 100-shot and the stock airbox, which was restricting the nitrous flow substantially. At the time my car took a shit, the stock airbox was gone and so was that 100-shot. So, I'll leave it up to you to tell me how much hp I was actually making. :)

It's funny Despo, you poking at people trying to diagnose this failure, but then trying yourself. So you think it was lean enough to somehow “start burning the aluminum in the piston top”, but didn’t detonate? Please, explain to me exactly what it is you think happens when an engine runs lean. Oh wait, never mind, please don’t. :p:D

Cylinder temps go up, shit melts, and yes, if ther is enough heat and ample supplies of oxygen aluminium will burn. Did you FIND the piece of the piston that's missing? And can you explain how detonation and pre-ignition differ??

The pistons are black because the car was driven from Sam’s house to the shop. John knew it was hurt already, and they had it up and running a few times at Sam’s anyway, so they figured why bother towing it. So the color of anything in the combustion chamber is far from representative of how it was running when the failure occurred. Driving a car when it has a bunch of beat up spark plugs tends to make the combustion appear a bit on the rich side. ;)

Here again, if you had read the post, I said guess, how would I have known he ran it al all ofter it blew. But I am sort of curious, since the motor is mutliport EFI, and to O2 sensor would have been seeing some level of almost raw fuel, and would have tried to pull fuel from it to get it back in tune, why would it have still been rich.

If im not mistaken wasnt IPS waiting on a set of cams for your car and that was the hold up?

Cylinder temps go up, shit melts, and yes, if ther is enough heat and ample supplies of oxygen aluminium will burn. Did you FIND the piece of the piston that's missing? And can you explain how detonation and pre-ignition differ??

Here again, if you had read the post, I said guess, how would I have known he ran it al all ofter it blew. But I am sort of curious, since the motor is mutliport EFI, and to O2 sensor would have been seeing some level of almost raw fuel, and would have tried to pull fuel from it to get it back in tune, why would it have still been rich.

MMMMmmmmm Keith, GM PCMs can only pull/add fuel dependent on trim +/-16.4%, after that they set a DTC. Spark Plugs with no electrodes...well...they don't...you know...fire? With over half the plugs down and out, I think its safe to say the computer would not be able to compensate for such an epic mechanical problem.

IPS was waiting on everything, for along time. Then for the machine work to get done wich took alot longer. Its all there now and awaiting re-assembly. All is well.

Cams what cams. I just was getting my name engraved on my exhaust!! And, and those one cool door jam things that say 300zx...And a type R sticker.

Cylinder temps go up, shit melts, and yes, if ther is enough heat and ample supplies of oxygen aluminium will burn.

I think you are confusing the word burn with melt.

In a running engine, aluminum does not “burn”, it melts or fractures. The boiling point for pure aluminum is 2200C (4000F), for a cast aluminum alloy it is several hundred degrees higher. And this is just the point where aluminum becomes a stable liquid that can undergo a phase change, this is not the temp where aluminum actually ignites and combusts. The combustion (or burning) temp is of course much higher.

Just because you have seen a beer can melt in a camp fire with a cool green flame doesn’t mean that it somehow applies to what happened to John’s piston. :p

And can you explain how detonation and pre-ignition differ??

Um, I already did.