Renter Legal Question

r6allstar

So I moved into a place last August on a year lease. When I moved in I told the landlord all of the things that I would want fixed. All were small things (screen in a window, broken toilet handle fixed, AC blower fan fixed, etc). Well since I moved in other things have gone wrong (garage motion sensor light broke, AC doesnt work at all, if the breaker to AC/HEAT is even turned ON the fan will run ALL the time racking up my electric bill, only have hot water for 5 min in shower). I have reported all these things to him and NOTHING has been fixed. I even get notices ALL the time telling me my water is going to get shut off (he pays water bill).

My calls arent returned and I havent even talked to the guy since April. Last time I talked to him I told him that once he started fixing things I would pay him the rent I owe him (4 months worth now). Well my lease ending next month and I am about to bounce without paying, should I worry about him taking me to court over the rent I owe? I mean he did kinda break the lease when he didnt fix the stuff wrong at the house didnt he?

Unfortunately you will have to go into a legal process to get these issues resolved. You need to get ahold of OHios renters bill of rights. Then file a grevance(sp). The court will set you and the landlord with a mediator to try and resolve the issue. The court if they feel it is necessary will collect full/partial rent and disperse this to help fix the problems. Unfortunately you are still obligated to pay rent. I would definately start the process sooner than later.

Sounds like a landord I used to have!

Anyway, instead of not paying him rent for the past 4 months, the protocol would have been to pay the rent through the court having it escrowed. But that's a lot of hoops to jump through and paper work too.

If he hasn't taken any action from rent not being paid for the past 4, going on 5 months, he must not care???

Check Ohio revised code ( http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5321 ) or other Renter's Right resources.

instead of not paying him rent for the past 4 months, the protocol would have been to pay the rent through the court having it escrowed. But that's a lot of hoops to jump through and paper work too.

If he hasn't taken any action from rent not being paid for the past 4, going on 5 months, he must not care???

Check Ohio revised code ( http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5321 ) or other Renter's Right resources.

I agree, but they charge a percentage of the amount escrowed and I ddint feel like losing money due to this asshole.. Hopefully I have all documentation of my problems but I dont know. Hopefully he would be just as lazy with the court thing as he is with getting shit fixed lol

Unfortunately sonavabeech is right. That's the proper process. He could come back later and sue you for back rent, and possibly ruin your credit. Of course, after waiting so long to sue and not having the proper documentation that shows an effort to collect - things might be looking up in your favor.

Eventually though, it'll be your word versus his and I wouldn't put it past anyone to be a schiezer and figure out some way to forge documents (back date receipts for supplies, notarized statements from your ex-neighbors abotu your character, etc) in court to make you look like the deadbeat renter rather than him being the slumlord.

As a former landlord (had two great renters, two evictions), I would highly recommend checking with an attorney. Spend the $50-200 for consultation. If the dude is an a$$hole, he may screw you via the courts, after the fact.

Or, fix the stuff yourself, subtract those costs from your rent, and provide receipts/documentation for everything, and cut your losses. I wouldn't rent from him.

BTW - I have a house for sale in Columbus. :grin: