Anyone modify Saturns?

rogue male

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I speak from experience.

Perhaps you missed this. Perhaps you also missed the fact my sig shows 420a-T and that i own a GS, non turbo from the factory. Maybe the experience i speak of would be that i've went the turbo charging route and know how very expensive it is and how difficult it is to keep that power to the ground on a fwd platform. Your starting out w/ a handicapped platform all around. It was not meant for handling power, not meant to be driven hard not meant for anything other than resisting dents and getting good gas milage. Sorry if the truth hurts and i'm not trying to dog on you. Take good advice when its given to you.

I'm not sure who is fighting. I just want to know why I'm a ricer and why my mods aren't worth anything. I guess right now the car is pretty much worthless as there is no engine or transmission in it so I don't have any mods right now, but you don't what has been done. Appearantly if you own a Saturn you are automatically a ricer?

The point is, it doesnt matter what it done to it. It was/is/will always... be slow.

Exactly.

I love how some of these 4 cylinder folks (especially those with shitty 4-banger platforms) try to justify their building it over a car with a better platform.

"It's more of a challenge."

- Hey, how about building something much faster that's a better platform. That can be a challenge too.

"But you don't see many 12-second *fill in the blank*"

- Yippie, but for what you have invested in that shitbox, you could be running 10's in with something that had more potential. And sorry, 10's are more impressive than 12's

But it's not like I'd waste my time racing any of these Saturns anyway.

Guest onebadkustom

Okay... let me be the wise man here and tell everyone what is up. The kid/guy what ever wants to build his car up. Yes, we know his car is slow.. so why flame him for that. Why dont you give him props, tell him to spend 15K and get a 13 second car or what ever. Why bother arguing on the displacement factors. We all know V8's are easy to build. But, dont think everything is easy with V8's. Do you think its easy fitting 302 or even a 351 in a Ranger.. nope. But guess what, I did it and its still a V8. Lots of money later too. Now.. back to the Saturn. As you can tell, there is not much you can buy to modify the car. So a lot of it is going to be hand made by yourself or a shop. So, if your really interested in making your car fast and turboing, superchargin or putting a NOS System on it. Go right ahead. I realize everyone has their own opinion. I myself prefer Bigger Displacement Motors vs. Smaller ones. But Im not going to flame the guy cause its something he wants to do. Let him do what he wants. Let him waste his money if thats the way you think. Who cares, its not your car and you dont have to drive it. So I'd leave it at that.. So with that said.

Focher Out!

lol!

I've put plenty of money into it: swapped it from a SOHC to DOHC, swapped it from an auto to manual, and built a custom turbo kit. The turbo kit I had on there is long gone because I'm building a new setup. I will agree the engine is not meant for the power, but the transmission, axles, frame (?) have no problem holding 400whp. Sure, it's a waste of money I guess. I could be spending it on other things like education, but it's what I like doing, just like the reason you put thousands into your Civic.

I'm not sure what payments have to do with having or modding a car. Both of my cars are paid off if it really means something to you. I don't recall where I said that my car will be the fastest. Obviously not. I'd take a Saturn over a Civic any day just like you took a 200SX over your Civic.

Recently moved to the area and I'm wondering if anyone modifys Saturns on the board. I heard they can be pretty quick.

Homosexual Jews?

I dont know, I drive a 500whp FWD car that may be 300lbs lighter than a Saturn. What does that make me?

--patiently waits for clever answers--

Exactly.

I love how some of these 4 cylinder folks (especially those with shitty 4-banger platforms) try to justify their building it over a car with a better platform.

"It's more of a challenge."

- Hey, how about building something much faster that's a better platform. That can be a challenge too.

"But you don't see many 12-second *fill in the blank*"

- Yippie, but for what you have invested in that shitbox, you could be running 10's in with something that had more potential. And sorry, 10's are more impressive than 12's

But it's not like I'd waste my time racing any of these Saturns anyway.

Or a 9 sec Colt? :)

If we were all the same, then the scene would be boring. I to would not start with a Saturn, but if he makes it work, more power too him.

I've put plenty of money into it: swapped it from a SOHC to DOHC, swapped it from an auto to manual, and built a custom turbo kit. The turbo kit I had on there is long gone because I'm building a new setup. I will agree the engine is not meant for the power, but the transmission, axles, frame (?) have no problem holding 400whp. Sure, it's a waste of money I guess. I could be spending it on other things like education, but it's what I like doing, just like the reason you put thousands into your Civic.

I'm not sure what payments have to do with having or modding a car. Both of my cars are paid off if it really means something to you. I don't recall where I said that my car will be the fastest. Obviously not. I'd take a Saturn over a Civic any day just like you took a 200SX over your Civic.

This particular post struck me as odd. Tristan, you claim to have an SC2 but you did the SOHC to DOHC swap. I'm sorry man, but you have an SC1. Also, you went through all that time and effort to gain 24hp? Why not just buy an SC2 5spd? It would have been cheaper!

if you are serious about modding a saturn, while it wont be worth it any way shape or form, there is always this website that i found when i thought i was gonna get a free saturn:

http://www.turbosaturns.net/

there are guides there on how to turbo charge, super charge, or nitrous saturns. there are also some hilarious videos modded mustangs and stuff getting smoked my these saturns on the strip.

...still dont think its worth it though.

The ecotec engine was reduced to a 2.0l due to the shorter stroke. That engine is by far the strongest 4 cylinder ever made. The ecotec powered drag car was putting over 1200whp down with that engine. I haven't seen a 4g63 or sr20det do that before. When they put that engine in the rwd sky the car will become the new platform of performance. Yeah it will be more expensive and people will cry that it's a Saturn but the potential is huge.

There are DSMs that have made 1200whp (Obviously only a few).

The reason you think that the Ecotec is "the strongest 4 cylinder ever made" is because GM is pouring millions of dollars into racing it and promoting it. This goes a long way. Do you really think Mitsubishi or Nissan give a fuck about drag racing? Of course not. The Mitsubishi guys that are pushing the envelope to hang with Gardella and Lumis are doing it out of there own pocketbooks and don't have the money behind them like GM is providing.

This particular post struck me as odd. Tristan, you claim to have an SC2 but you did the SOHC to DOHC swap. I'm sorry man, but you have an SC1. Also, you went through all that time and effort to gain 24hp? Why not just buy an SC2 5spd? It would have been cheaper!

You are right. It's is not truely an SC2. Of source I only gained 24hp. Why didn't I just buy the DOHC 5sp? The car was chosen for me and I made partial payments. Simple as that.