Welding Aluminum to steel

yotaman88210

I've never seen it done before. You have to run a shit load of amps on aluminum to get rid of the oxide cover. Even on thin shit you would have to run upwards of 150 amps. Two completely different metals, require two completely different filler metals. I guess you could try to use no filler, or try to braze it...don't think it's possible to make a good sound weld regardless though. Let me know what you do tinman...I'm curious.

normally when you want to weld something they HAVE to be the same metal, it might hold but it wont work for long it wouldnt be safe for any application, ive tried welding cast aluminum back toghether on my tranny just broke openen aluminum to soft to weld unless its forged and steel is much harder so it wouldnt be a good idea, my .02 cents.

normally when you want to weld something they HAVE to be the same metal, it might hold but it wont work for long it wouldnt be safe for any application, ive tried welding cast aluminum back toghether on my tranny just broke openen aluminum to soft to weld unless its forged and steel is much harder so it wouldnt be a good idea, my .02 cents.

Cast aluminum is very easy to weld. All it takes is the proper equipment, preperation, and knowhow. Also cast aluminum is not soft, it is actually harder than the T2 material used most most aluminum sheet fabrication. It is brittle however, that's why it tends to crack.

Cast aluminum is very easy to weld. All it takes is the proper equipment, preperation, and knowhow. Also cast aluminum is not soft, it is actually harder than the T2 material used most most aluminum sheet fabrication. It is brittle however, that's why it tends to crack.

And it needs to be CLEAN or your fucked. I have welded several bellhousings,a nd uber turbo inlets/outlets which are all cast, and as long as its cleaned properly its NBD.