Turbo Rust/Derek, 'buyer' beware.

Trouble Maker

I'm sorry you have such a bad opinoin of firestone, but aside from that our techs top out around 23/hr which is as good as most dealerships int he area, so thats an incorrect statement.

Audi techs start around 23 an hour and I know 2 who are over 30. I also know a few BMW techs who make more than what the "TOP" guys at firestone top out at, so I would not say they have just as good mechanics. If they were that good they would go somewhere else and make more money.

I would not consider a 2.8 v-6 audi an exotic, they have out that motor into ALOT of cars as far back as 92 with the same timing belt proceedure.

its not the timing belt procedure that bothered either one of us.

I do not own the tool required to properly perform the requested service and I could not find anyone to borrow it from so instead of winging it and maybe breaking something we decided to pass on the job...

I thought that was the responsible thing to do.

Audi techs start around 23 an hour and I know 2 who are over 30. I also know a few BMW techs who make more than what the "TOP" guys at firestone top out at, so I would not say they have just as good mechanics. If they were that good they would go somewhere else and make more money.

I would not consider a 2.8 v-6 audi an exotic, they have out that motor into ALOT of cars as far back as 92 with the same timing belt proceedure.

I don't do full-time service work anymore, but I can tell you that I wouldn't go to Audi and deal with those cars for an extra $7/hr. Not worth it. I know I'm not the only mechanic who feels that way so that's why we don't go there and "make more money." There is a reason they make that much at Audi and BMW, because labor rate is up on those makes and the parts mark-up is easier to do. Most of your parts are dealer only parts, so you the retail guy will pay whatever the dealership charges you for that part. Makes it alot easier to pay those less qualified mechanics that dollar amount just to get them to come there and work on those headache cars.

its not the timing belt procedure that bothered either one of us.

I do not own the tool required to properly perform the requested service and I could not find anyone to borrow it from so instead of winging it and maybe breaking something we decided to pass on the job...

I thought that was the responsible thing to do.

While I appreciate you guys doing the responsible thing, abliet too late, as I've stated, the tool unequivocally was not the issue. I offered Derek to find the tool to borrow from someone (or even buy it, then sell it) and up the money a little if he though it was going to be too much work for the money originally stated.

I honestly think that he (and you?) saw the 8.5 hours and said "Hey, it's just a timing belt and water pump. I can nock that out in 6 hours tops. Easy money." The 6.5 hours for the water pump didn't clue you off to the fact that it might involve more than you thought? Maybe you guys should have looked at the procedure before agreeing to do it and called me before I ordered the parts.

Also Derek, you making a reference to this situation in another thread saying how you did a good job on something is going to make you look bad in a thread that should make you look good. Just an FYI in interpersonal situations. I have no real long term beef with you about this situation, I just wanted to let every know about what happened. I think they deserve that if they are considering working with you to weigh out their options. Get over it.