anyone know of a good carb rebuild joint? - a quadrajet

baron_

My only car and semi-daily driver. (can go a few days without driving it, if need be)

Anyone know a shop near columbus that could rebuild my quadrajet?

It needs a good tuning and some jets swapped out - wouldn't hurt if someone could do some tweeking - i hear it's a bit of an art to making these run really good

Can drive the car there - would hope the person could rebuild it while i wait or run to dinner across the street or something

it runs good now, just happens to be a bit of a dog....needs to be a little more responsive

another option would be me taking it off and shipping it to someone, but then i'd be stuck if they didn't get it shipped back for a few weeks

http://www.cliffsqjet.com/

These guys are in Mt. Vernon... Q-jets are their specialty. A properly tuned q-jet works pretty well, it's just hard to find anyone with know-how to tune them and the parts to keep them fresh (throttle-shaft bushings etc.). Luckily Cliff's is close-by.

shut up Rick ;)

There are a few individuals on here I would recommend contacting to get it rebuilt and tuned. They are:

TurboRust (Derek)

Desperado (Keith)

Mr. Sigman (I think is the screenname he's using, Dave)

I have no idea how long it would take to rebuild one, but i'm not so sure it could be done while you are eating dinner. Also, it is true that tuning those is quite complicated, but once it's tuned right, those are great carbs. People hate on them because they don't know how to work on them.

cliff's is great from what i hear

but they also take 3 months to get around to your carb - which i think's crazy

guess there's too much demand for him

and not going to EFI - it's a #'s matching 4-speed 400 GTO and all

would like to keep the original quadrajet looking carb going...

it's already a new/rebuilt carb that runs fine - just not aggressive enough

is a stock 350 buick quadrajet (was cheap and 'new' and figure i'd upgrade later) on a ram air III 400 pontiac with ram air induction

so don't really need a rebuild - maybe just a jet swapping to step up a little

and more importantly, probably, is that i need someone who knows what they're doing in regards to tuning

Baron, go get a book on quadrajunks, look it over, they ain't that difficult to mess with. They use a jet and rod setup that is MUCH more tunable than a Holley.

Once you see how it works, go get a rod and jet kit.

If the thing is not responsive at the hit of the throttle though, it's more likely that the acclerator pump is not feedig the motor the right amount of fuel. There again, not a big deal to tune, just have to read a bit and go with it.

it is a elec choke model. cant find the model number it hs a reman sticker on it of 10-22-99 and my dad just redidit last year for my camaro. the outside needs cleaned but the inside is very clean throttle blades and venturis are 100 percent clean should be a great carb. throttle shaft feels good also. the only numbers i can make out on the reman tag are 3-616. hope that helps