302 rebuild?

Guest SaleenSC302

Guest SaleenSC302
Just wondering if anyone has some advice on this..... I'm movin up to dearborn next april to work for Ford and I'm lookin at rebuilding my 94 mustang's 302. It's my only car and I want to keep it my daily driver. I don't want to get piss poor gas mileage, so I'd pretty much like to keep it stock. The motor has about 150K on it. Along with that, I'll most likely be replacing suspension components, since I think the struts are still factory.... Someone suggested to me that I just buy a new short block from summit or something, and then just clean up the heads and bolt everthing back together. I don't have the tools to yank the motor out of there, but I have the knowledge to take it apart and whatnot. But I'm not familiar how much machining costs are for cleaning up the heads. Anyone have any good pointers? I'm just trying to do what makes the most sense. It's either rebuild the 302 and replace the suspension and whatnot, or the other option is to buy a used truck.

i bought a new crate motor from ford. it was a direct bolt in. all i had to do was put an intake on. it came as a long block. it was the gt40 345hp crate motor with gt40x turbo swirl heads. gave 2950.00 for it from ricart ford. cant rebuild an engine for that.

Why do you think it needs rebuilt? Have you done a compression check? Is it using more than a quart every 3000 miles? Most of time the 302 roller motor's just need a new valve springs after 100k and they're good for another 100k. They use a soft ring, atleast the pre '93 motor's did. This means the engine can run 200k+ with no rebuild and also means if you do rebuild the motor it probably just needs honed, no over-boring required.

Guest SaleenSC302
The motor is knocking like crazy and I haven't had the time to really figure out what's goin on. The timing is definitely off, cause the knocking goes away when I put some octane booster in there. It's probably the dampener, but I haven't had time to replace it. It's losing a little oil too. I think it's burning it and leaking it. So, it's due for something.

i bought a new crate motor from ford. it was a direct bolt in. all i had to do was put an intake on. it came as a long block. it was the gt40 345hp crate motor with gt40x turbo swirl heads. gave 2950.00 for it from ricart ford. cant rebuild an engine for that.

The 302 is so expensive to rebuild that 3K is a good deal? Geezy Peezy.

CJ

The 302 is so expensive to rebuild that 3K is a good deal? Geezy Peezy.

CJ

If you consider rebuilding the engine to new or near new specs, the crate engine is a bargain. Sure, you can re-ring and re bearing a 302 cheap, but most of the parts that you will put back in will be above 100K mile parts. This isnt usually bad for the money, but definately not as good as having a factory machined new engine.

Guest 408turbostang
get a rebuild kit for around 500 standered bore clean,hone then get heads redone with valves springs all the shit and u will probaly have a thousand in doing that then why its out get roller rockers and a e-303 cam and a water pump and should be good to go for a while