Differences between GT and Mach mustangs?

Bam

My father is looking for a mustang, and I'm trying to convince him that a Mach1 mustang is worth it over just a GT.

Could you guys give me a list of differences between these two? Also, what years were the Mach1 available?

Did the Mach1 come in vert style? Or just the GT? He's thinking about a convertible even though I'm trying to convince him a coupe is better.

What do these cars put down stock/run stock?

Thanks guys, I'm gonna print this out and give it to my dad when I see him on Wednesday, we're going to test drive a few.

Matt

Mach 1's were produced 2002-04 and are different from the GT in that they have:

An aluminum block DOHC Engine (much like the 99-02 non-supercharged Cobra... not quite as much HP, 305 I think)

Sportier suspension (basically same as the Bullitt GT...Tokico shocks..etc)

Larger brakes (same as Bullitt also...minus the red calipers)

Shaker hood (cold air induction...looks cool, probably not a big deal for making power)

3.55 Gears

"Magnum 500 style" wheels

I don't think they are available as a 'vert.

These cars can run very low 13'- high 12's pretty easily with traction and a good driver.

Mach 1 > GT

They are awesome handling cars too. Those times are about right. I think my ex b/f's Mach 1 went like 13.1 or 2 something stock then went like 12.50s @ 109 almost 110 with 4:10s and mufflers. Very nice!

They are only coupes, produced in 2003 and 2004. The differences are as follows.

Interior

motor

tranny (different 5th gear ratio)

3:55 gears

hood

suspension

exhaust

wheels

brakes

C-pillar windows

and i think some other things but i forget

Mine put down 292hp and 319trq with just an intake, also went 13.31 @105.... check out http://www.mach1registry.com should answer any more questions you may have. or send me a message on AIM sparkintoy

mach1 differ from the 99-01 motors in this way

Better heads (newer castings with more of a short turn radius)

more midrange cam(does not rev as high but makes more torqe and has a broader power range)

Tune is better

Shaker style cold air

Auto mach's have a cast crank not forged.

Car differences from a gt

better shocks

Better breaks

better interior

3.55 gears

The trans gearing is better for cruising. (5th is a lower ratio)

There is no comparison between a GT and a mach. The GT would get waxed pretty hard.

Greg I am pretty sure that a manual Mach red-lines at the same RPMs as the 99/01 Cobras. I know for a fact that the red-line is lower for the auto versions though. There is a general consensus that the Mach has less upper range power than the 99/01 Cobra but I am not fully sold as I have seen over-laid dyno graphs of 99/01 Cobra and Mach curves and the upper range was about the same, but the mid and low range of the Mach was significantly better than the 99/01 Cobra. However a very proven combo is the 03-04 heads and the 99/01 cams. There is also some speculation that the casting quality of the Mach intake is better than the 99/01 Cobra.

Finally, the seats in the Mach are retro designed and I think they are sweet. I believe that they are modeled after the "Comfort Weave" seats of the 69-70 Mach. Also the numbers on the dash are retro.

Greg I am pretty sure that a manual Mach red-lines at the same RPMs as the 99/01 Cobras. I know for a fact that the red-line is lower for the auto versions though. There is a general consensus that the Mach has less upper range power than the 99/01 Cobra but I am not fully sold as I have seen over-laid dyno graphs of 99/01 Cobra and Mach curves and the upper range was about the same, but the mid and low range of the Mach was significantly better than the 99/01 Cobra. However a very proven combo is the 03-04 heads and the 99/01 cams. There is also some speculation that the casting quality of the Mach intake is better than the 99/01 Cobra.

Finally, the seats in the Mach are retro designed and I think they are sweet. I believe that they are modeled after the "Comfort Weave" seats of the 69-70 Mach. Also the numbers on the dash are retro.

When Comparing the cams I used the info from my car. I have had both cams and have the mach cams and heads currently. They fall off 600 rpm sooner than the cobra cams did. Also keep in mind my stock cobra cams did this too untill my knock sensors stopped pulling 4-5 degrees of timming. That is why my hp started to fall aroun 6200. Post tune it pulled to readline.

Now in re reading my post I assume you thought I was saying the redline is lower. It is not the motor just does not want to pull to redline the way the 99-01 did.

Anthony these motors are the same as the 99-01 motors so no forged pistons or rods just crank in the 5 speed machs.

So 450 rwhp seems to be the safe limit.

Agreed.

I have also heard that the Mach engine has flat-tops as opposed to the -3 cc dish of the earlier 4V's, do you know anything about this?

Were you able to compare the horsepower numbers themselves between the two cams all other things being the same? Or are you going by the shape of the curves?

Agreed.

I have also heard that the Mach engine has flat-tops as opposed to the -3 cc dish of the earlier 4V's, do you know anything about this?

Were you able to compare the horsepower numbers themselves between the two cams all other things being the same? Or are you going by the shape of the curves?

To many things changed in the motor to compare.

They are dished, I have an auto shortblock sitting in my garage I got all this stuff off of. I have not measured but I can tell you that the deck height looks like WAY LESS than my motor.

Mach 1 by far the way to go. Besides all of the noticable differences, the Mach's usually put down almost 80rwhp more than a GT. Plus they have a lot more potential than a GT for the basic mods. The Mach's are also limited numbers versus the GT's being dime a dozen considering how many Mach's they produced. They are even more RARE than the 03/04 Cobra's.

Lots more but I don't have time right now to post....

Yeah, he just wants to do basic mods, I/H/E and some dr's possibly to hit up the track a few times a year. I'm trying to sell him on the Mach, and all this helps. What are some websites for modifications? Anyone know what a Mach with I/full headers/catless exhaust put down? 350ish? More?

Yeah, he just wants to do basic mods, I/H/E and some dr's possibly to hit up the track a few times a year. I'm trying to sell him on the Mach, and all this helps. What are some websites for modifications? Anyone know what a Mach with I/full headers/catless exhaust put down? 350ish? More?

intake, full lenth headers, and catback will dyno 320 ish rwhp and 325-330 rwtq.

Are the Mach 1s using direct Cobra engines? I.E, will they take boost well?

No. They have 10.5:1 compression and the bottom end is not forged unfortunately. They are a great N/A or nitrous platform. I would not recommend boost to anyone with a stock Mach.

Like someone said it's close to the 99/01 Cobra motor, but the heads/intake are different, increasing the compression ratio.

Mach 1's are a heckuva N/A stock car. Definitely no comparison between a Mach and a GT.

Wow, that's it? There's a guy on here that put down 304/333 to the wheels with just an Hpipe and K&N filter. I guess the mods don't really do much, must be well tuned from the factory?

What are some other mods for the Mach?

They are rated at 305/320 from the flywheel. If someone is putting down more than the flywheel rating to the rear wheels with an h-pipe and a filter then that is a serious gain. Assuming 15% driveline loss you are looking at 358/376! If you really want to get serious you could do the aviator intake which is the poor man's FR500. It has long runners for the low range and then short runners for the upper RPMs. There is plenty to do: headers and full exhaust, air intake, intake manifold work, 99/01 cams, tune, aluminum flywheel/driveshaft, gears, and suspension. I just read over at Corral that there are filter/mid-pipe cars running mid 12s.

Your best bet is to take these questions over to the http://www.mach1registry.com/ They are a lot more knowledgable and won't be giving you a lot of incorrect info which I see in some of the posts above.

Don't be fooled by the dyno numbers with basic mods. They have been know to go 11's with just bolt-ons. Slap some spray on it and go for low 11's/high 10's. Lots of people have Nitrous, supercharger and Turbos on them without any problems. It's no different than the pre-03 cobra's. It's all in the tune.

Once again, http://www.mach1registry.com/ is your friend and FORGET about a GT when you have a Mach 1 in mind.