motor question

1qwk767

My g/fs little brother drives a 84 monte with a 305, and he wanted to keep an eye on the motor so we went to advanced auto and bought the 3-pack of sunpro guages, oil,volts,temp well the motor seems to run strong all the time, but here recently ive noticed the oil psi to be around 40psi on a cold start and drop to like 20 when full warmed up, then to like 10-15psi in gear, when he drives the car and gets on it the oil pressure barely goes above 25psi, this puzzles me the car has vavoline 10w30 in it and im wondering if the motor is gettin ready to go, if anyone has any suggestion let me know

Thanks In Advance

Mark

ive seen 305s run with as little as 5 psi in gr at idle. but yes the motor is wearing out. most good stock enginges well at least sbc's idle arround 20 hot. but shouldent drop below that. if he is interested in building a 350 i got a good 4 bolt 350 block. needs bored to 60. just let me know .

10psi for every 1000rpms is a good benchmark for SB Chevy engines.

How many miles on the motor, and what brand of guages?

in answer to your question the guages are sunpro and the motor has around 99k miles

ive seen 305s run with as little as 5 psi in gr at idle. but yes the motor is wearing out. most good stock enginges well at least sbc's idle arround 20 hot. but shouldent drop below that. if he is interested in building a 350 i got a good 4 bolt 350 block. needs bored to 60. just let me know .

allright thanks and how much are you looking to get for the 350 block im interested in the block myself

and thanks for the responses guys I really appreciate it

Mark

Before he spends money on anything, swap out the filter with a new NAPA filter and change the oil. If it's still reading low, try to borrow another oil guage to double check the Sunpros. They used to be good guages, but I assume he bought the small, cheap plastic guages? The set of cheap Sunpros I had (came in car) read very differently than the Auto Meter Ultra Lites that replaced them.

Maybe worth a try.