RWD + 17" Z rated tires down to the wear bars = oh crap!

Nitrousbird

I really need to get my Jimmy running. Moostang: no weight in the rear, 245/45/17 Z rated tires down to the wear bars....does have a working limited slip though, and is a stick car, which helps.

I left work at 8 tonight; I work around the 161/270 area. Normally a 20 minute or less drive home to the R-burg.....45 minutes later!

- Had to stop at the Strawberry Farms stoplight....car didn't agree with taking off.

- While trying to get going on 161, tail kept swinging to the right. Missed several orange barrels by a foot or so.

- Car kept pushing itself further and further to the right. I babied the gas as much as I possibly could; it didn't care. I stop, and motion all traffic to pass me.

- Once traffic is clear, I gun it, swing the car perpinducular to the way the road goes so I could make it into the far lane, then swing it hard over to straighten it out. It worked, but couldn't have traffic there to do it.

270 was alright, mostly idiots picking their own lanes/speeds. Topped out at 30MPH (car is fine crusing as long as you breathe on the gas, only accelerating, especially from a stop, is where it really sucks).

Near the Main Street exit, lane I was in got worse in a hurry. Tail started swining out quickly, had to hit the clutch to straighten her out, as no throttle wasn't cutting it. Rest of the way was alright....just babied it home.

Funny thing is, the fresh snow in my neighborhood was 10x easier to drive in. Go figure. I'll be throwing a bunch of weight in the back of her tonight.

Be careful out there folks, it isn't pretty. Saw a box truck into a barrier, car 270N turned around in the median.

driven tons of 5.0l mustangs with bald z rated tires in the snow. its a task, but its fun. and makes you a better driver. dealing with all the counter steering and pedaling the gas. but i dotn miss it a bit. the explorer does great the auto 4x4 does wonders. but i wont be driving it much in the winter. the wife will be taking it, and i get to have fun with the cert stang. shitty v6, open diff, and auto. should be fun.

People can't drive for shit. I was doing 60 on 270 in 2wd on my way back from Eagles pizza around 9:30 - 10:00, passing people like crazy. I'll admit though, the trip there was a bit of an adventure. I just wish people would realize that if they are going slow, they need to stay out of the left lane...

I think I drove through pretty much the worst part of it. It stopped really coming down about 1/2 way through my trip (8-8:45), at least where I was driving.

I tossed in 268 lbs in the back. This most definately isn't my first RWD in the snow....actually, I've only driven a couple winters w/ anything buy FWD (92 Camaro RS V6 w/ open rear, my Formula w/ snow tires back when it was a daily, open rear 2WD Blazer, and the Moostang).

I plan on getting rid of the car, so I don't want to invest in snow tires for it. Hopefully the weight will help w/ traction a bit.

About 4 years ago I drove my mustang to work, normally a 20 minute drive. I check the weather the day before (seldom drove the mustang to work) and the forecast was OK. Well between Noon and 5p we got about 5 inches. The car was auto at the time with bald 225's. I really thought about having someone come pick me up, but tried it anyway. Some how I ended up on 270, in the fast lane and luckily traffic was going 10-15mph. I had to go from neutral to park, back and forth most of the way because just at idle the car would go sideways. The ruts in the snow kept me straight but also the hardest part was going from the fast lane to the slow lane to make my exit, I almost caused several accidents. It took 2hrs to get home and another 2hrs once I got home to get it up into the garage. Lesson learned!

Sorry, I drove right past you last night laughing cause someone was stuck in their mustang. I had no idea it was you or I would have stopped and helped ya out.

I didn't need help; I just needed people the hell out of my way. :p I wasn't stuck at all, I just couldn't drive where I was at....I didn't have any troubles getting the car moving once traffic was cleared.