TH-350/NP203...holding back on me?

zeitgeist57

From Park, shift to Rev...takes about 5 seconds for it to engage. Once it is, I almost need to floor it to make it back up. There is obvious slippage, but it's really loading the engine like I'm climbing backwards up a really steep incline with 2000lbs of rocks.

In Drive, there is (was) a ping-ping-ping coming from the rear end. I am servicing the brakes now and I haven't driven it in a day or so.

With both drums off, the rear axle spins freely. Going back and forth gives a good feeling of not a lot of lash in the differential. Yet, even with the rear drums off (I was moving the truck around) The reverse situation still happens, so in my mind it's definitely not the brakes but it feels like a rearend issue.

Can not changing the fluid in the TH-350 in awhile cause this situation? I think I definitely need a fluid and filter change anyway. Is there an issue with the NP203? Both front hubs are on "free".

Thanks!