L67 3800 Sc

thorne

Well I've finaly got 6k on her. I'm starting to think of upgrades I want to keep driveablity so... Is nitrous good on these motors ? I know pulleys and such will get me in to low 14's I really would like to run 13's (mid?) . So suggestions are open.

You can run 13's no problem and definitely without nitrous. For basic mods to start with I'd do a 3.4 pulley, FWI, colder plugs and tstat, a 3" dp with ubend delete and PEMS. That should run you between 5-600 hundred and be a definite difference. Then depending on if you just want a tune or the ability to custom tune it and scan constantly. I'd recommend either a DHP pcm or a full out powertuner. The PCM is around $200, and the powertuner is $385.

The nice thing about the powertuner is you can change EVERYTHING and scan your car. DHP will give you acess to 2 years of L67 for that price. YOU WANNA GO HALFSIES? lol, We can share the PT.

Next up, Not sure, there are a lot of options. IC, Cam, rockers, etc. Me personally I'm getting an IC. Found a local guy selling it at a good price. That should kill any KR you have and supposedly lets you drop a few pully sizes.

**You can buy single press on pullies, or you can buy a pulley system. If you plan to upgrade I'd get the pully system, which is what I have. It's not much more but makes swapping sizes MUCH simpler.

Talk to Ramathorne on here, name is Nate and he's cool as shit. He helped me on my car and knows more than anyone about GP's. He's got a turbo GP if he ever keeps it running. LOL.

And you got PM....

cough.

HAhaha, Yes buck, you also are among the 3800 prophets. Chris Green is a good source of knowledge, he keeps up to date in the 3800 world.

When people say I want to run 13s to me, that instantly puts me in street racing mode. Let's assume on the street the best we can do is a 2.2+ 60ft, and since our cars make so much low end, we cannot really harness it, unless we run DRs, which does help. Most 13 second cars out there trap around 105-107 in a streetlight start. You want in the 300whp+ range on a stock weight car.

There's a few ways to get there, but I'm a fan of efficient power. I chose to retain the stock cam, and went with (shitty) 1.9 rockers, ported blower/IC path. I laid out 315whp on 93 octane, and spent wayyy to much shit on things that I didn't need.

Honostly, go with an IC primarily, GM should have done this in the first place. I will tell you straight out, ZZPerformance has dominated this area for years.

Your exhaust note will sound like ass no matter what. Replace the Ubend and move to a 3" DP. If you really want to get the most out of a good sounding exhaust, replace the piping to the mufflers with 2.5" all the way back, and search ClubGP on modding stock mufflers to flow a bit better. Ohio Auto Worx does some nice DPs, along wtih Jimmy C, and the overpriced RT

Headers or PEMs, Well if you want to shell out the $$ for headers, they certainly help, but the fitment sucks ass, and changing to aftermarket headers on a FWD 3800 platform sucks. Plus you get that gay ass ticking. I would try PEMs from hulkspeed or Wbody Store. You cannot go wrong with stock parts.

Rockers or a cam? If you feel like ripping into the car, cam it. You do not need anything big, a VS or Stg 1x will do. If you feel like preserving your gas mileage and virganess of your motor, rockers. Yella Terra, SLP, or the modified (non roller tip) rockers from ZZP are good choices. The cam is cheaper initially, until you get to installing it. Rockers also don't need such a dramatic retune as a cam, they'll run fine with a stock tune.

PCM Reflash or tuning suite? If you know what the hell you are doing, HP Tuners or DHP PowerTuner. If not....DHP.

Thermostat choice? Well, that all depends. Stock our stats open at 195 ish, a 180 is a nice blend of to hot and to cold. We have cast iron motors which can become giant ovens, lowering the coolant temps by 15+ degrees has been proven to help reduce KR with no serious side effects, maybe a tad less mpg, like .4? Most hardcore racers shooting to impress don't even run a stat. Stay with 180 and you'll be fine.

Injectors? 42.5#ers.

Intake? Fenderwell or a closed box (SLP or say an intake like Wizair's)

Plugs? At this level Autolite 103s should be used.

Last not least, but the simplest, a pulley. Modular pulley system, buy one.

Nitrous? Dry kit, probably best power per dollar spent, but not so cheap after all is said and done after a few months of racing.

HTH

Ramathorne thanks alot for all the info .. It's given me a great build ideas. I think a powertuner would be nice . FWI / Pulley / Ubend Delete / tuner (STAGE 1) It looks like 13's on track is what i really wanted. Street is fine but I prefer track. I'm hoping to start modding mid march. BTW yeah we can talk bam about going in together.

Ramathorne thanks alot for all the info .. It's given me a great build ideas. I think a powertuner would be nice . FWI / Pulley / Ubend Delete / tuner (STAGE 1) It looks like 13's on track is what i really wanted. Street is fine but I prefer track. I'm hoping to start modding mid march. BTW yeah we can talk bam about going in together.

On the track you can dig in a bit, so you can nail 13s with a trap of 100-103 on a decent 60ft. For that I would say your common bolt on package, I want to say you have an L32 since you're 05, but it seems you're stuck with the last batch of L67s.

If you think you'd be happy with that for ahwile: rockers, 3.30/3.20 pulley, PEMs, 3" DP, stock exhaust with the U-bend taken out, some sort of intake, Autolite 104s, 180 stat, and a tune - you should be golden. If you have the extra change, invest into blower porting or say, an SS IC. You may need some additional power, I think the GPs are lighter than the Montes, Buck should be able to chime in with his experiance in the Monte world.

If you feel like preserving your gas mileage and virganess of your motor, rockers.

Did you just say virginess? ROFL.

and for a tstat I'm running 160* and I have no problems in the winter so far, my car warms up super fast, and blows HOT. But yeah 180* is good as well.

Sorry Buck, I knew you had swapped the car and all, I just haven't spoke with you much in depth about modding so it slipped my mind. And Chris Green hasn't been any help to me at all, he won't even reply to my PM's.

Did you just say virginess? ROFL.

and for a tstat I'm running 160* and I have no problems in the winter so far, my car warms up super fast, and blows HOT. But yeah 180* is good as well.

Sorry Buck, I knew you had swapped the car and all, I just haven't spoke with you much in depth about modding so it slipped my mind. And Chris Green hasn't been any help to me at all, he won't even reply to my PM's.

Matt,

Did you notice any big drop is gas mileage after we did the stat? You need to delete that code you hoe. Yeah, sorry for my Cleveland grammar. Chris is probably just busy, he interacts with the community and poses some insider information. He's an interesting cookie.

Matt,

Did you notice any big drop is gas mileage after we did the stat? You need to delete that code you hoe. Yeah, sorry for my Cleveland grammar. Chris is probably just busy, he interacts with the community and poses some insider information. He's an interesting cookie.

I'm not sure if I noticed it right then, but I have noticed recently (maybe its just because I calculated my mpg a few times in the past month tho) I've been averaging 16-17mpg in the city and around 22-24 on the freeway. But then again I do get on it QUITE a BIT. I just can't help it, the smile factor is too sweet.

Yes I need YOU to delete the code, lol, its been staring in my face for months. I was hoping it'd just burn out eventually, haha. Hopefully me and thorne can go 50/50 on a PT and you can help me make some tunes, as well as delete my codes. My car would love you for that, dinner on me? I'm also this ' ' close to buying a SS IC, John has one local and its a good price, so help with the install would be much appreciated. :)

I'm not sure if I noticed it right then, but I have noticed recently (maybe its just because I calculated my mpg a few times in the past month tho) I've been averaging 16-17mpg in the city and around 22-24 on the freeway. But then again I do get on it QUITE a BIT. I just can't help it, the smile factor is too sweet.

Yes I need YOU to delete the code, lol, its been staring in my face for months. I was hoping it'd just burn out eventually, haha. Hopefully me and thorne can go 50/50 on a PT and you can help me make some tunes, as well as delete my codes. My car would love you for that, dinner on me? I'm also this ' ' close to buying a SS IC, John has one local and its a good price, so help with the install would be much appreciated. :)

Sure thing man, if you do an SS IC, I would say you might be able to drop to a 3.30, maybe a 3.20 with PEMs/3" DP? Or, of course, we can just use some race gas:cool:

Sure thing man, if you do an SS IC, I would say you might be able to drop to a 3.30, maybe a 3.20 with PEMs/3" DP? Or, of course, we can just use some race gas:cool:

That's what I like to hear, as far as I know the wifey is getting me the 3" DP and PEM's for xmas, (fingers crossed she's not just leading me, lol). And if I pick up the SS IC hear soon, maybe we can just have a big ole' install day? I'll let you know soon, I'm itching to get some new stuff on. I'm not sure I'd like to daily my car with Race Gas, lol, because if I drop enough pulley I'd have to, right? and swapping out the pullies would require multiple belts and shit I assume, right? Maybe just play with timing on the 3.2/3.3 and use race gas rather then dropping to a 3.0 w/ race gas for the extra power. Maybe for track days...

That's what I like to hear, as far as I know the wifey is getting me the 3" DP and PEM's for xmas, (fingers crossed she's not just leading me, lol). And if I pick up the SS IC hear soon, maybe we can just have a big ole' install day? I'll let you know soon, I'm itching to get some new stuff on. I'm not sure I'd like to daily my car with Race Gas, lol, because if I drop enough pulley I'd have to, right? and swapping out the pullies would require multiple belts and shit I assume, right? Maybe just play with timing on the 3.2/3.3 and use race gas rather then dropping to a 3.0 w/ race gas for the extra power. Maybe for track days...

You can go down to a 3.10 with a stock belt on the SS IC (raises the blower height a bit) For everyday street use, you might be able to sneek by with a 3.20 on 93 octane, 11.5:1 A/F, and 18 degree of timing. If not you could keep the 3.40 on with the SS IC, and run maybe 19-20 degrees of total timing. timing is free (once you buy a tuner), where the pulley you have to buy. I would say get a 3.10 and use it with some timing, maybe 18-21* on 100+ octane for track days.

What's stock timing set at? And the 3.10 your saying just use that for track days with 100+ right? Or did i interpret that wrong?

And I don't want to "SNEAK BY", the reason I'm doing the IC and other mods is to make it safer, sure I want more power, but I don't want to push any buttons and break shit daily driving it, I'd rather have it tuned down a tad for daily and then turn it up for track days.

My l36 was seeing right around mid 14's consistently (N/A) before I cammed and rocker armed it (but before I had it tuned it was wrecked), 13's with the 3800 series is not hard to obtain.

Oh yeah, I'm already running mid-low 14's with just the intake, plugs, tstat, 3.4" and a ubend delete. Low 13's is what I'm shooting for with these coming mods, and I should definitely be able to do it on race gas, if not better. Just gotta find some good tires next spring.

My l36 was seeing right around mid 14's consistently (N/A) before I cammed and rocker armed it (but before I had it tuned it was wrecked), 13's with the 3800 series is not hard to obtain.

You didn't have to deal with 20-25% drivetrain loss, nor the suckyness of FWD platforms. Anything down to mid 11s ( 120-125 trap) is not hard to obtain, rather just expensive and can become quite cumbersome.

What's stock timing set at? And the 3.10 your saying just use that for track days with 100+ right? Or did i interpret that wrong?

And I don't want to "SNEAK BY", the reason I'm doing the IC and other mods is to make it safer, sure I want more power, but I don't want to push any buttons and break shit daily driving it, I'd rather have it tuned down a tad for daily and then turn it up for track days.

You read correctly. I meant sneak by in a sense of other mods, conditions, etc. If you want safety, stick with the 3.4 and add a few degrees of timing. Stock can be anywhere from 14-17 depening on IAT, Knock, ECT etc.