Fighting exacerbated property tax evaluation

excell

I got my new property value assesment in the mail yesterday and it's WAY too high over market value. Of course, the burden of proof is mine, even though they can clearly look up what homes have sold for in my neighborhood.

Has anyone ever fought this before, and where do I begin? What kind of proof do I have to provide? Basically looking for the steps to success in beating this thing.

Thank you. :)

Didn't you build new? If so, you'll have a hard time. How much did they go up per month?

Yes, I've been in it for two years.

My assesed value went up $15,400. Homes less than a year old are still selling near the old assesed value, even though Dominion is selling new houses at about $5k above the new assesed value.

This happened to my mother-in-law. She lives in an 1860's brick farm house with two barns. We sided the one in steel and painted the other. Suddenly her property value doubled because of "improvements". She went down there and they adjusted it up like 15% instead of 100%.

same thing happened with us we bought ours at 156k its been assesed/apraised at 163 IIRC and the average sell price is in the high 140s low 150s. give it a couple years and everything should correct ists self but that really doesn't help you with the issue at hand. :(

I mean, $15k doesn't really raise my payment THAT much. But being Hebrew and all I still think it's very unjust. I just have no clue how to properly fight it. :(

Youre the most unjewish jew i've ever met...

I dont know if there is much you could do...maybe get a third party apraisal?

-Marc

Are you in Delaware county? My properly tax value went up 22% since last year. We built our house 10 years ago and have added several pole barns to the property. You are going to have a hard time trying to get it reduced, especially if it is a newer house.

I'm in Franklin county (barely). The house is nearly new. It's two years old, I had it built.

Mine went up 10k since I bought it in March.

Not bad for me, I now have equity in the house :D

Wrong. All that means is you pay more taxes. Assesed value for taxation purposes has NOTHING to do with the market value of your house.

Hence the reason I want to fight it. The market is NOT moving these houses at the price the county "thinks" they should be. All they are doing is fucking me (and you, and everyone else) in the ass for more money because they "think" my house should be valued higher than what it actually should sell for. It's a fucking load of bullshit.

I'm in Franklin county (barely). The house is nearly new. It's two years old, I had it built.

Wrong. All that means is you pay more taxes. Assesed value for taxation purposes has NOTHING to do with the market value of your house.

you are correct.

But your market value will slowly increase due to the new assessed value. You can disput the new valuation. You need to file with the auditor office and they will get your dispute process started.