questions about home wireless networks

CJINOHIO03

I am thinking about geting wow cable internet. What would I need exactly to set up an wireless network? I have a Dell laptop a few years old that has aCisco aironet 350 wireless card. Can I use this with some thing else or do I need to start from scratch? Thanks CJ

wireless router, modem with wireless compadibility and some kind of wireless security (you dont want other people bumming off your connection slowing you down)

oh and by the way +1 on linksys decent products for cheap prices

i only use it because i got it free but theres no problem its only used for our laptops in the house. my other computers all run hotwired to netgear.

Ok started doing some research so found these two

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6304082&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat65200050022&id=1074787298555

Share high-speed broadband Internet access plus files, printers and multiplayer games among multiple computers, with or without wires

Other wireless devices without SpeedBooster enhancements also see improvement when communicating with SpeedBooster-equipped devices

SpeedBooster's single 2.4GHz channel is specified by the official wireless standard

Built-in 4-port, full-duplex 10/100 Ethernet switch

Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) for high-level wireless security

Powerful SPI firewall and 802.1x authentication and authorization; supports VPN pass-through

Ability to act as DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server

Easy browser-based configuration utility

Trial of Linksys Parental Control Service, with individual profiles for time-of-day and day-of-week access restrictions, 16 different Web content categories, e-mail and instant messaging filters and online individualized activity reports

Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 3 years

Speed Up to 54 Mbps

Interface Slot Type Ethernet or wireless network card

Auto Detecting Yes

Auto Sensing Yes

System Requirements 200MHz or faster processor; Windows 98 SE, 2000, ME or XP; 64MB RAM; CD-ROM drive; network adapter; Internet Explorer 4.0 or Netscape Navigator 4.7 for Web-based configuration

LAN Connection Wireless

Wireless Standard Wireless-G

which is like 89.99

and this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat65200050022&id=1051384663529

This is one multitalented device — superfast transfer rates up to 54 Mbps, dual 802.11g and 802.11b network compatibility, advanced security features and a 4-port Ethernet switch.

More Options

Do you have all the accessories you need?

Compare with products in this price range.

Product Features

Wireless-G networking (54g) allows stepped-up data transfer speeds while maintaining worry-free compatibility with 802.11b networks

Up to 54 Mbps data transfer rates — almost 5 times more than typical 802.11b rates

2.4GHz wireless frequency (802.11g- and 802.11b-compliant)

Compatible with 802.11b networks (at 11 Mbps)

Share high-speed broadband Internet access plus files and printers among multiple computers, with or without wires

Built-in 4-port 10/100 Ethernet switch with auto speed sensing

Capable of up to 128-bit WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) encryption

Advanced security with NAT technology, VPN pass-through and MAC or IP address filtering

Ability to act as DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server for existing network (a new computer can be added to network without manually assigning it a unique IP address)

Easy browser-based configuration utility

Product Details

Speed Up to 54 Mbps

Interface Slot Type Does not apply

Auto Detecting Yes

Auto Sensing Yes

System Requirements Broadband Internet access

LAN Connection Wireless

Wireless Standard Wireless-G

No the one with speed booster covers a larger area for wireless. WRT54GS is the one I would get, I have the WRT54G and I have a ~100 sqft townhouse and it has good coverage. If they had the speedbooster one when I bought mine I would of gotten that one. FYI they are cheaper on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LINKSYS-WRT54GS-SPEEDBOOSTER-802-11g-G-ROUTER-108MBPS_W0QQitemZ5841822007QQcategoryZ71503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just have a cheap Netgear G series, and it works just fine. $30 at Best Buy.

I will say I've seen more problems w/ Linksys routers than any other brands out in the field, which was my main reason for not wanting one.

True Story, my buddies Linksys Wireless router drops more connections than Jim Morrison dropped LSD....

I have a NetGear MR814 and it always runs flawless and never drops connections even outside in my backyard on the deck......