Ju-Jitsu tournament

black00ws6

Dear lord, I train and spar 2-4 times a week but definately would get the living shit kicked out of me here.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8530050435368865797&q=jujitsu

the knockout at 1:52 was SWEET. :D

I train at the Relson Gracie Jiujitsu south chapter, where do you train?

I train at the Relson Gracie Jiujitsu south chapter, where do you train?

Gahanna Martial Arts. His main focus is TKD but teaches grappling, boxing, judo.. Usually a class revolves around 15-20 mins of traditional TKD then the rest of real life techniques. Plus Krav Maga on Mon and Thurs.

Cool video.

When watching it, though, I couldn't help but ask myself, "What exactly is the different between 'full contact jujitsu' and extreme fighting?" Seemed like the guys in the video were using a lot of the same moves I see used in the extreme fighting events - take downs to submission moves, etc.

Maybe the guys in extreme fighting employ jujistu as a fighting style?

I'm genuinely curious, and I don't know much about martial arts, etc.

Maybe the guys in extreme fighting employ jujistu as a fighting style?

I'm genuinely curious, and I don't know much about martial arts, etc.

You answered your own question... Quite a few debates on which is the best fighting style, but many will argue that it's jui-jitsu. With extreme fighters, they usually implement several different techniques. I would think a fighter with a background of TKD/Muay Thai/jui-jitsu would be pretty lethal. :D

Have any of you seen the show about the Muay Thai fighters? Can't remember what channel it was, but a guy BROKE another guy's femur from just a round kick to the thigh!!! I've been kicked by a guy in our class that won Nationals but that shit is just on a whole separate level.

You answered your own question... Quite a few debates on which is the best fighting style, but many will argue that it's jui-jitsu. With extreme fighters, they usually implement several different techniques. I would think a fighter with a background of TKD/Muay Thai/jui-jitsu would be pretty lethal. :D

Have any of you seen the show about the Muay Thai fighters? Can't remember what channel it was, but a guy BROKE another guy's femur from just a round kick to the thigh!!! I've been kicked by a guy in our class that won Nationals but that shit is just on a whole separate level.[/quote

Gracie Jiu-jitsu. Its been proven since the 40's. Back when it was style against style GJJ was unbeatable. Now its the foundation of nearly all the great MMA fighters today, you can't make it with out it.

I also was in TKD when I was younger, was 2 time state champ and placed 5th at nationals. I feel I am a very well rounded fighter and only getting better everyday. I plan to have my first MMA fight sometime in the first half of next year.

The video looked cool but some of a few of those guys had some horrible technique. Haymakers are a bad idea if your fighting someone experienced but I also believe I saw quite a few white belts in that video so that might explain it.

I took karate for about 6 years and have been on a break since i left home but the which style is best is a pretty much worthless argument. Its like arguing which car manufacturer is the best. They all have their high points and weak points. The best way to go about I would say is to not even really worry about styles and worry about what works. That was pretty much Bruce Lee's philosphy and he wasnt just no movie actor. He was a real bad ass, its ashame he died so young or the martial arts world as we know it would be totally different.

Yes he's still there. Do you still train and if so where?

I just roll with a couple of buddies now that money is tight. but I was over at Ullom's martial arts off broad st. he has 'grappling' classes. I was thinking about going to south or north chapter this summer when i'm making more money. my problem is that I would rather do all no-gi stuff

i took TKD when i was like 6 or 7... to me it seemed more of an art of aniticipation and elevated awareness... definatly a gurrila-like defence... block, react, run away kinda thing.

I dont know what style it is, but i favor the one based on the bodies natural kenetic energy once in motion. I have boxed a bit, and did some "dirty" wrestling (inflicting the most pain possible w/o scoring any points... coach was a ex-marine) in highschool which is probably more towards painful restraints than submissions but the shit still hurts :p

Haymaker.... what is that??? Ive never heard that term before...

i took TKD when i was like 6 or 7... to me it seemed more of an art of aniticipation and elevated awareness... definatly a gurrila-like defence... block, react, run away kinda thing.

I dont know what style it is, but i favor the one based on the bodies natural kenetic energy once in motion. I have boxed a bit, and did some "dirty" wrestling (inflicting the most pain possible w/o scoring any points... coach was a ex-marine) in highschool which is probably more towards painful restraints than submissions but the shit still hurts :p

oohhh what?

I just roll with a couple of buddies now that money is tight. but I was over at Ullom's martial arts off broad st. he has 'grappling' classes. I was thinking about going to south or north chapter this summer when i'm making more money. my problem is that I would rather do all no-gi stuff

If your interested let me know and l'll let ya know the prices at the South chapter. You could always come out for a free first class to check it out. I would say keep the gi on, unless you are training for a fight. Think about it how many times have you fought someone(street) or seen a fight where they keep their shirts on or don't have time to take them off. That nearly doubles your submissions, sleeve chokes,collar chokes ect. Theres nothing like choking someone out with their own cloths.

it depends on where you train at... we don't really do the whole block, counter, run deal... but of course our school offers, Tae kwon do / Judo, Kickboxing, Krav Maga, and other random stuff... so it's more of an all around type of school other than just a traditional Tae kwon do school...

a Hay Maker is a punch where someone really winds up to throw it.. (typically the first punch of an untrained figher) I don't know how else to explain it.

it depends on where you train at... we don't really do the whole block, counter, run deal... but of course our school offers, Tae kwon do / Judo, Kickboxing, Krav Maga, and other random stuff... so it's more of an all around type of school other than just a traditional Tae kwon do school...

a Hay Maker is a punch where someone really winds up to throw it.. (typically the first punch of an untrained figher) I don't know how else to explain it.

ah k...i asked someone else too and they said it was a perticular type of punch... an "overhand" punch to be specific... so i guess i should go beat up the douch who told be that :p

ah k...i asked someone else too and they said it was a perticular type of punch... an "overhand" punch to be specific... so i guess i should go beat up the douch who told be that :p

If you didn't know what a haymaker was,,maybe you should learn to fight first.lol

If your interested let me know and l'll let ya know the prices at the South chapter. You could always come out for a free first class to check it out. I would say keep the gi on, unless you are training for a fight. Think about it how many times have you fought someone(street) or seen a fight where they keep their shirts on or don't have time to take them off. That nearly doubles your submissions, sleeve chokes,collar chokes ect. Theres nothing like choking someone out with their own cloths.

Could you let me know? I am been wanting to get into this for a while now. I am a big fan of UFC. I want to learn some BJJ or a similar fighting style. I need to lose my gut from college and think that learning BJJ would be a fun way to do at and at the same time learning how to fight.

If you didn't know what a haymaker was,,maybe you should learn to fight first.lol

What the hell is that... thats like saying, if you dont know the difference between Static, Dynamic, and Actual compression is, then you shouldnt drive a car. Gimmie a break :rolleyes:

What the hell is that... thats like saying, if you dont know the difference between Static, Dynamic, and Actual compression is, then you shouldnt drive a car. Gimmie a break :rolleyes:

You said "I have boxed a bit", yet you don't know what a haymaker is. That struck me as alittle odd, thats all.