08 ninja 250 OTD price

jermattak

and we all thought i was stupid!!!

this is from someone on kawiforums

So, i recently bought my 08 250R... about 400 miles ago... and althought the bike is priced at 3500, somehow i paid 7400 out the door. That is including an extended 5 yr warranty, as well as GAP insurance if i ever wreck her... plus all the bullshit charges they charge to put the bike together, transportation costs etc etc etc.. does this seem too expensive

I'll say this - a lot of dealers add on a bunch of prices and charges that are so beyond fair it isn't funny. However, on the other side of the coin, if the buyer is ignorant and doesn't do a little research, it isn't the dealership's fault if they don't check things out and negotiate prices. Dealers make a bunch more off financing and the things like insurance, fees, warranties, etc than they do off the unit. Always ask for the OTD price and what the check total needs to be. Figure on $40-$75 in Doc and title and whatever your tax is. If the total is way off the chart, ask them what you are being charged for EACH thing and go from there.

Realize too that a dealership will get you in with a low price and try and sell you on the other stuff like GAP, etc... Stuff you really don't need...

So, i recently bought my 08 250R... about 400 miles ago... and althought the bike is priced at 3500, somehow i paid 7400 out the door. That is including an extended 5 yr warranty, as well as GAP insurance if i ever wreck her... plus all the bullshit charges they charge to put the bike together, transportation costs etc etc etc.. does this seem too expensive

This person got Gorilla Raped.:monkeypoo:

Thats more than I paid for a 1 year old Vmax.

in the car business they call those "coconuts" - just waiting to get bopped over the head

I think it is funny that people think someone who was dumb and didn't do a lick of research got robbed....

If a customer is an idiot, they're going to pay big bucks for something because they don't understand what they are getting into nor what to look for.

Sure, there are some dealers out there that maybe do these things and it is somewhat unethical, but in reality, making full boat profit isn't a bad thing, either...

There has been some good things to look for as a new buyer within this thread and so, a well versed buyer should be able to watch for items that don't need to be added or prices that are too much for what they are getting.

Is it wrong to charge retail for something to someone that doesn't know they can bargain than to deal with certain customers that know the system and negotiate a lower price? Should dealers give every unit away at the lowest price they have recorded for that unit to EVERY customer that walks in the doors?

If a Ninja 250 sells for $4500 OTD normally and a customer comes in and gets it for $4200 OTD, should that dealer then set the price to be $4200 OTD for every customer after that sale? Is it wrong to start out at $4700 OTD?

I guess when I hear "robbed", I get offended as while that is a very high price for a bike that retails for $3500, I am also sometimes not offended that someone could be so dumb to not realize that they are paying over double what retail is for something... It's a two way street...

I agree with Lizard, one can only have so much pity for the person with the brains to sign that agreement, Ive had to wait a month and a half to get my ninja, and Ive been called in twice when the bike wasn't even available.

The first time they sold the bike out from underneath me (literally i was sitting on the bike and they said sorry someone else gets it).

The second time the bike was supposed to be there and it wasn't the truck was late.

So I'm not walking out the door with some free token of my trials and tribulations to get this bike.

It is a shame that dealership can with a clear conscience sell a bike at 2x the MSRP, but it is just as much fault for the customer.

With the 09 line up already being reserved though I'm sure dealers are gonna try to squeeze every penny from those 250's cause if one person isnt willing to pay that much the next sure as hell will be.

Just as an update, I picked up my ninja yesterday and OTD it was $4210, as follows. $3499 Ninja. $190 Freight. $246 Tax. $15 Filing Fee. $10 Tags.

Where was this? Pretty damn good deal as they only got you for $190 extra and were really fair on doc fees and such.

Realize though that on a non-popular and hard to get bike, that $190 freight charge is BS... But in this case, the bikes are not going less than retail and getting $190 extra is fine with me...

Congrats man.

I'm on my 2nd EXO-700, I think they are great helmets. I wish I would have gotten a silver/black one similar to yours now rather than my blue because the blue of the helmet doesn't match the blue of my bike at all, lol.