Anyone had luck cracking WEP???

Putty

The best apps are on Unix or Linux. Windows apps suck and take much longer, if they work at all.

Are you doing this with a laptop or desktop?

Laptop...I've found several apps that work on Unix or Linux, but I wiped my Linux machine. I know there has to be something that works on Windows. I have an awesome AP sniffer, but all are WEP'd.

Best idea I can give you, buy a second hard drive for it off of eBay or another sundry facilitator. Swap the drive and load Linux, download a few sniffer apps and play with them to find the one you like best. When you are done, swap your windows hard drive back in. Clean, no dual-boot mess.

I like Air-snort, but I haven't used many of the "new" programs out there. Most of them are based off of the Air-snort project anyway.

For recreational purposes only, of course. :)

Best idea I can give you, buy a second hard drive for it off of eBay or another sundry facilitator. Swap the drive and load Linux, download a few sniffer apps and play with them to find the one you like best. When you are done, swap your windows hard drive back in. Clean, no dual-boot mess.

I like Air-snort, but I haven't used many of the "new" programs out there. Most of them are based off of the Air-snort project anyway.

For recreational purposes only, of course. :)

**Strictly educational use..**

I have another PC I can use. Last time I was running Mandrake 9. I am sure there is something better out now. I was able to find "Airsnort" and "Aircrack". From what I've read, they are the best two. I'll let you know what I come up with....I plan on making this my weekend project.

Airsnort seems to be the industry standard for breaking WEP. Many progs. can sniff out the key and ssid. Have you ever heard of Knoppix? You can boot your windows maching into knoppix, or do a VM, and run thier tools to get the wep.