Buckey Nissan North service dept?

Science Abuse

First off, unless you are going to a small shop, like Scott's, you are going to be charged a flat rate to do a job. They look in a book, see how many tenths of an hour it is rated to take, and charge you according to the shop hourly rate. Say their rate is $100/hour, and you bring your car in for an oild change and fluid check that is rated for 15 minutes. The dealership would then charge you $25, regardless of whether you got a good tech than can do it in 10 minutes, or a shitty one that takes 30 minutes. The one that did the job in 10 minutes still gets paid for 15 minutes of work, and can then move on to the next thing. The faster he works, the more money he makes. You (the customer) gets charged the same regardless of how fast the tech is.

So, let's do some math. You said it took 45 minutes and the labor was $75. If the tech spent exactly the amount of time that the book calls for, then the shop rate would be $100/hour, which for a dealership is possible, but sounds to me to be a bit high. I would venture to say it's around $80-$90, in which case you had a fast tech.

If someone on here that works for cars for a living would be kind enough to post the rate time for this work, I think it would prove that you did not get ripped off whatsoever, that in fact they were very fair, you are just (understandably) upset about having to pay that kind of money for something as simple as belts, which you know that you could do yourself easily, you just didn't have the means to do so and needed the vehicle back on the road quickly.

Dealerships really do have a difficult time making revenue. In order to make sales, they have to advertise, pay salesmen, operate a storefront and pay all the bills involved (electricity, gas, multiple phone lines, water, etc). They don't make a whole lot of money off of new car sales due to competition. Used cars fare better because it's easier to screw with the pricing, but then they have to worry about warrenty work, which eats away from profit. An easy way for them to make money is by selling third party warrenties. On the service side, they have all of the same stuff other shops have to deal with, but tend to pay their employees slightly better, but the higher shop rates help out to stabilize the income of a dealership. They also have high expenses in purchasing cars to put on the lot. It's not as simple as you make it out to be, otherwise everyone you know would have a dealership and be rich.

Exactly right, Mike. If you were to have your belts done at Scotts, $X pays for the belts, the labor to install them, electricity light and heat the small shop for 10 or so hours a day, a scoop of coffee, and a couple toilet flushes a day.

At a dealership, like Nissan North, the $184 pays for the belts, the Tech's pay and benifits, the cost to heat or both buildings 24/7, the cost of countless ads in countless publications, The costof leave 2 dozen million candle parking lot lighs on all night, and the property cost and taxes for 3 acres on 23.

Thus dealers always charge more. They may not keep too much, but they damn sure bring it in. What they keep is based on what they spend. They charged $185 for a $50 job because they wanted a full page in the Dispatch instead of a half page? Shucks thanks.

Thus dealers always charge more. They may not keep too much, but they damn sure bring it in. What they keep is based on what they spend. They charged $185 for a $50 job because they wanted a full page in the Dispatch instead of a half page? Shucks thanks.

If it were just that simple...

To Nurkvinny, blackbird et al - my response last night was a lil strong & I've no beef with anyone either. 4 mich lites, worked 11.5 hours yesterday will do that to ya.

1) yes owners of dealerships certainly control the purse strings

2) people like me are the "worker bee's" & we get a SMALL fraction for our work & efforts

3) I work in Springfield, Oh for the Wyler group

I think Copperhead & OSU GT hit the nail on the head earlier - But I do apologize for coming off so strong. I'm proud of my profession & what I do. N/N & Wyler are examples of dlrshps that operate ethically, agreed there are SOME that certainly do NOT -

It was a bit harsh, but I can understand that from some one who worked there. You felt you needed to be on the defense, completely understandable.

In all there's realy no lack of fault on anywones part. Sure, were got reemed on simple work, but some one had to sign for it, no one was held at gunpoint.

The moral of the story is, some one buy this truck. :)