gauges

McGraw

Are there really any bad, unreliable, or just plain shitty gauges that you can warn me about before I go looking for and pouring money into guages. I like some of the Sunpro gauges and everyone knows or at least says that Autometer is a sure thing for quality.

opinions?

I've had one issue with Autometer gauges, the Speedo in my truck wants to act like a tach until you start rolling, then it drops to 0 and functions as a Speedo the way it should. We've talked to several people from Autometer and none of them know why it's doing that. Other than that, flawless use of gauges.

I've had one issue with Autometer gauges, the Speedo in my truck wants to act like a tach until you start rolling, then it drops to 0 and functions as a Speedo the way it should. We've talked to several people from Autometer and none of them know why it's doing that. Other than that, flawless use of gauges.

Sometimes I get that happening on older cars with digital clusters, rev it up in park or neutral and the damn speedo shoots up, put it in drive or reverse and the speedo acts normal. I guess that as long as it's acting normal when it counts, :gives:

Sometimes I get that happening on older cars with digital clusters, rev it up in park or neutral and the damn speedo shoots up, put it in drive or reverse and the speedo acts normal. I guess that as long as it's acting normal when it counts, :gives:

More or less the general consesus from us and Autometer alike. We re-wired it like 3 or 4 times thinking there might be some freak interference with the tach wire causing it to happen, but it still does it. Works when it counts, people ask and I laugh and explain, and then proceed to tell them the calibration button is for NOS ...

Mostly want them looking over ... everything. I want as much feedback from the car as possible, now granted no computer is in the Monte Carlo, and I'd like to keep from putting one in, anytime soon, because from what I understand there are a few ways (rumor has it) with computer programs I could get away form gauges all together.

But I think I'll stick with mechanical gauges as long as they make them.

also heard I shouldn't mount fuel pressure in the cabin? Is there some sort of isolator I could get so I could still have the gauge in the cabin? Because I'd like to keep fuel from directly coming past the firewall.

Thanks again guys, seems like I'll be putting the money where it counts and stick to Autometers. Why work against something that everyone likes so well.

Yes, you will need to use an isolator. The line from the isolator to the fuel press guage needs to be filled with a liquid that is compatible with the guage and the diaphram in the isolator. Usually it is 50/50 antifreze, but some manufacturer may have other recomendations. Also, I would sugest braided. If you use a rubber hoser, it can expand and throw off the reading on your pressure guage.

Also, electric is much easier to set up, you can route the wires wherever, unlike a mechanical temp where you have a set length of thermocouple line that has to be coiled up somewhere. For the oil press, electric is good also. if a wire breaks, you lose reading. If the 1/8" pressure line to the guage gets brittle and cracks, you then have an oil leak that you may not notice untill all the oil has drained out of the crack, or if it breaks inside, you then have an oil slick under your dash.

my .02

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=23065

The isolator I have.