8.8 and 5 lug questions.

KlubFoot

I've got an 89 4 cyl 5 speed hatch that I'm in the process of coverting to an 8.8" rear and 5 lugs. I'm trying to get all the pieces and parts lined up and any extra info I may need.

My questions right now are, if I get an 8.8 out of a 5.0 will it bolt right up in place of the 7.5 with out modification and will the driveshaft that's in the car work with the 4 cyl T5 and the 8.8? What if I got an 8.8 out of a 94-95 5.0? I know it will increase the width a little, but I just plan on running 98 GT 5 spoke wheels so I don't think the extra length will be a problem. Will it bolt up with out modification? Did all 94-95 GT's come with rear discs? Let me know guys. Thanks.

Taran

i am doing this exact swap (4cyl to v8) keep your stock brake lines off of your 7.5 as you will need them thats the only thing that wont work from the gt rear end. The sn95 rear does have disc and it will bolt right up

the driveshaft will work but i suggest getting either a alum from ford racing or at least a stock 5.0 one as it is stronger

Guest Spoiler71

The Turbo Coupe housing was one of the parts soured to make the 93 Cobra and it contributed to a wheel offset that will fit no other Mustang properly.

The 8.8 from any other fox chassis will work. All of the mounting points are the same. Do be mindful of width not only in the housing but the axles too. A Mk.VII Lincoln will give you a larger 5-lug rear disc set up but the axle is longer than a standard Mustang. If all you are trying to do is get it to 5 lug there are ways to do that out a big dollar parts swap but not using the 98 wheels.

You will need the SN95 spindles. Look for a 94-95, they have a offset steering arm that works better with a 79-93 tie rods, the 96-04 have a straight arm and you don’t have many threads on the inner rod left when its aligned unless you use the inner tie rod from a 96+. The 99-04 has a dual piston caliper that will fit the earlier spindle with the removal of some extra casting material from the spindle. It's not an offset problem with the wheel it's the wheel doesn’t have the clearance for the older bearing hub.

The easy way out of this is to save up about $2500 and get the M-2300-K brake kit and either the M-4006-B355 or M-4006-B373 housing with differential and gears. It will be all new, clean parts with everything you need for a bolt in deal.

Guest Spoiler71
I did mine with a set of loaded 99+ spindles I got from Edisons for $200. The rear started as Ranger/Aerostar axles and drums. Later, when the money freed up, I went to the 94-98 axles and brackets from a salvage yard and ordered calipers from a Bullett from a cousin that works at a dealer and got the rotors from AutoZone.