rebuilding a 350 Chevy engine

blazinjr

First off I have rebuilt 2 302 Ford engines and a 2300 Ford engine so I do have the tools and some know how.

The engine is out of a 1977 C10 pickup and I checked the numbers on the front of the block and it is the right engine for that year truck.

350 2 bolt main

The engine smoked a little and had a little noise in the top end.

I took the engine apart and starting cleaning and inspecting the old parts.

I found the noise... #6 cylinder exhaust lobe was worn down and the lifter had some scaring on it.

Now for the questions.

All of the bearings look stock and are stamped with GM but the rear one is stamped GM also but it also looks like there is a 001 stamped on the back side. If the crank had been machined in the past wouldn't they have turned all of them to that?

Also the pistons are the four valve releif dished pistons with the outer tapered edge, but nowhere on them do they say GM. On the center of each piston there is a letter, some have a H, J, M, and a K. Do the stock pistons have these letters marked on them?

I was just planning on buying a rebuild kit from Northern Automotive and honing out the cylinders and putting it together myself, without having to send it to a machine shop. I did not want to spend a fortune on rebuilding it, it is just going to be a work truck and driven around 2 miles a day.

Anybody help me out?