fwd clutch-i know nothing

Guest FBody Addict

Guest FBody Addict

picked up an 88 baretta gt about a month ago, and the clutch is slipping when i try to accelerate. rpms go up but the car takes a few seconds to catch up and i can feel it lock back up. my logic points to the clutch

how involved is replacing the clutch and should i replace the return spring?

Yeah sorry, I had to drop the tranny to get to it. I had to take out the battery and intake to get to the trans mount, disconnect all the sensors connected to the tranny, then when I was actually ready to drop the trans, had to bring it out to clear the pins that line up the trans to the motor. Then the clutch was visible (and the stinch of a burnt clutch lingered throughout the garage). After I was able to get the flywheel out, took it to the machine shop to get resurfaced. Then got everything swapped out and lined up. Took me about 7 hours, being my first time w/ plenty of smoke breaks.

Quick summary but you get the idea..

Guest Removed

Disconnect the lower ball joints and all sensors hooked to the trans, remove the axles, starter,inspection plate,remove the drivers side subframe to make room for the trans to come out. The sway bar end link WILL break so buy new ones.remove the trans bolts, slide it back and your there. I have a manual that you are welcome to use if needed.

It's like doing a RWD but everything is sideways....The hard ones are the ones that you have to take the whole subframe out of, like the Luminas and etc.

Guest FBody Addict
It's like doing a RWD but everything is sideways.....

and stacked one on top of the other

The hard ones are the ones that you have to take the whole subframe out of, like the Luminas and etc.

that's gotta suck

Guest FBody Addict
Wow, I completely forgot to add removal of the axles. Also when I did mine, I just removed the passenger side axle. Yeah I know, I'm lazy

passenger side? my accessories on my block are on the passenger side so wouldn't my clutch be on the driver's side(output end) and i only have to remove the driver's side axle

Guest Removed
passenger side? my accessories on my block are on the passenger side so wouldn't my clutch be on the driver's side(output end) and i only have to remove the driver's side axle

NONONO... it will not work that wy on your car. because his shaft hd support bearing hold the axle to the block, the bretta does not.. :(

• 2 weeks later...