how much better....

Orion

Heads are a lot better (basically LS6 heads). I've heard the block is a bit stronger too.

As far as handling boost, I'd say both cars are probably equal in terms of stock shortblock strenght. But with the LS2, you'll get more HP starting out, and more efficient heads = more power on the same amount of boost. :)

the dark side is very tempting. the near limitless power is intoxicating, however, throwing off these trappings of light (awd, nimble handling, jdm heritage, boost) is harder than one might expect.

plus, no one seems to want to buy my car. <frown>

Hot Rod Magazine said that the LS2 heads are the best flowing production heads on any car ever built. Ever ever.

It was a tall claim, but I think stock ports flow north of 330cfms which is crazy on a stock car. From what the Vette community is saying about the LS7 and boost, I'd stick with an LS2 for great power now and awesome mod capability later.

My good friend Ty just put longtube headers on his '03 Z06 and it dynoed at 365rwhp with other bolt-ons. He's got a full Borla exhaust now, MSD coilpacks, Halltech intake, and a reprogram. That's it. Total cost less than $2200. We went for a ride last weekend (24degrees) and he couldn't get any traction on the side streets. Too cold, too much power. Once we got on rt33, the thing sounded truly NASCAR. No sound whatsoever from the front of the car, and just an evil roar coming from the back. It was really incredible. I'd replace my C4 if my wife and I weren't looking to buy a house somewhere here in Naples in the next 6 months. The LSx engines are really, really amazing mills.

With the LS2,6,7 showing a lot of promise, and that the worst (relatively speaking) LSx engine is the LS1, you really can't go wrong with anything having one of those engines under the hood.

I must be off on the number, then. I know it was some wierd number that made me ask him if it was possible to have 30% drivetrain loss on a manual transmission Corvette.

I'll get my data straight. My bunk memory aside, it's a fucking fast car, and one of the sweetest sounding engines I've ever heard. (Still haven't been inside an Italian V12 at full throttle, though.)

• 3 months later...
My Z06 dynoed 365rwhp completely, 100 percent stock, right down to the paper filter.

It was 369bhp at the rear wheels at this place. http://www.backstreetper.com/

They gave him 7 or 8 wideband runs and tuned with a laptop between each round.

I was surprised, since he had a high-flow intake, MSD LS6 coil packs, custom engine programming and a full Borla header/resonator/exhaust system. I expected more. Assuming 17% powertrain loss, a tuned/intake/exhaust LS6 makes 431hp at the flywheel??? Well, it is what it is.

For comparison, a guy here locally with a warmed-over '95 Vette ran his LT1 stock at 269bhp and then 349bhp on nitrous. But, of course, we all know that nitrous is cheating. :)

It was 369bhp at the rear wheels at this place. www.backstreetper.com/

They gave him 7 or 8 wideband runs and tuned with a laptop between each round.

I was surprised, since he had a high-flow intake, MSD LS6 coil packs, custom engine programming and a full Borla header/resonator/exhaust system. I expected more. Assuming 17% powertrain loss, a tuned/intake/exhaust LS6 makes 431hp at the flywheel??? Well, it is what it is.

For comparison, a guy here locally with a warmed-over '95 Vette ran his LT1 stock at 269bhp and then 349bhp on nitrous. But, of course, we all know that nitrous is cheating. :)

the year also makes a difference. if it is an 01 they only have 385 from GM

the year also makes a difference. if it is an 01 they only have 385 from GM

Yeah...this one is a yellow '03. 405hp stock.

I'm more of a bench racer, so I want the most generous Dyno I can find when I finally hook up nitrous. :)