Tropical Vacations

04r1

Im trying to plan out a vacation for this spring or summer. Thinking about Jamaica or Cancun. Im looking for people who have gone to either of these locations or similar places that can give some insight as to what hotels and areas of town are better to stay in for the nightlife.

Anyone?

Cancun is great...IF you never leave your resort.

That was the truely great part about hawaii. We spent more time away from the resort and out on the beaches and in the parks. Seeing dolphins follow your boat and jump out of the water within 10 feet of you, while you are watching for humpback whales. We snorkled with sea turtle just out in the ocean where the boat stopped. Just amazing. I never thought I would be so gay about a vacation but damn that one was an experience.

+1 for Hawaii.. We've been to Maui for 4 weeks the past 2 years and going back this year as well. I'm with Greg on the gay feeling you get while snorkling or SCUBA diving. I swam by giant sea turtles that were over 6 ft long, got to hold an octopus, and just the things you see underwater are amazing. The only bad thing about Maui is the price, everything is EXPENSIVE. Pretty sure that Kauai is up there in cost as well.. hell, about everything in Hawaii is expensive. Plus, in Maui there isn't much nightlife and with a 6 hour time change, you feel like going to bed by 10pm every night anyways. (if you do choose Maui, PM me and I'll let you know what and what not to do)

You might want to consider Punta Cana too, My friend and his wife just got back from a week at the Bavaro Princess and loved it. Had a direct flight from Cincy and the cost wasn't all that bad (around 1,000-1,200 each), and this was an all inclusive resort. Do a search on ebay for punta cana and there is an auction there for 4 days at the Secrets Punta Cana for 1,079.. This place is usually around 400-500 a night so this is a decent deal (flight not included).

Try tripadvisor.com and do a search for the area you want to go, they have traveler ratings from the best to worst hotels and hundreds of reviews plus candid photos of the resort that the travelers take and post.. Not dolled up pics the resorts hand out.

Skip Cancun - still lots of construction, murkey waters (drudging sand back up to the beaches), litter, upside down boats in the waters and vegitation and other destruction from the hurricanes. Give it until next year and it will be better. Went 6 years ago and it was different as night and day compared to this year.

Moon Palace Resort would be the place to stay and not leave in order to not see all of the above - it is about 30 minutes from the hotel zone.

St. Lucia......We stayed @ Club St. Lucia. Private Beach called Smugglers Cove. Some historic $hit like Pigeon Island where the English fought the Frenchies. Volcano. Two Large Mountain Peaks (not including the women! haha). The have "Jump Up" on the weekends basically a big street party.

Guest MissTypeS

In my opinion, cruises provide the best bang for your buck for tropical vacations- meals and other details included, and you get to see different ports of call. A 7 day cruise can cost as little as $600 - how can you beat less than $100 per day?

... Stay away from Bermuda. It was gorgeous, but kind of boring. I recommend the Virgin Islands.