Mac Osx And Wireless

Skinner

I recently bought a Dlink wireless router/switch and added it to my network for the wife to work on around the house. When I first brought it home last week I plugged in to my existing network (linksystem 4 port router and a 8 port switch). the MAC saw the wireless connection and was on the network and internet without issue.

Last night Chris helped me with running some new wire (cat 6) i relocated the switch to a back room and relocated the wireless router to my kitchen(center point of the house). We tested the connections and everything was hot I plugged the dlink in but was unable to access the network or internet .:( I could log into the routers 192.x.x.x address and went through the wireless setup set up wep and restarted everything. I was still unable to log in plus i was able to see 4 other wireless connections that i never saw before (they were all using wep). I was tired I disconnected the router powered down the system and went to bed.

Tonight powered everything up and the MAC was only showing my default connection (4 others were gone) and I was able to log in without any issue so for (sitting in the kitchen and battery is charging while it write this).

Sorry for the drawn out short story what I'm wanting to know is will I have to log into the router, or is there a way to save it and have it automaticlly link up and log in.

Second I would like to use something other then wep if possible CHirs mettioned other one but I dont remember what it was called. It is alot better then wep thou.

Lastly I know only about macs other then what my wife has showed me and see nows how to work her apps any real problems she calls support. So what I'm asking is if someone can stop over for a bit show me the basics help me setup the wireless side of the network.

Oh BTW the router is a linksys 4port router the wireless is a d-link DI-524 and I am using it as a switch the wan port is not being used. The switch is a older HP 10/100 (not that it matters).

TIA Shawn

EDIT: After typing this up I was dropped from wireless that to plug into the land to submit this post :(.

Not shitting on anyone paraid but unfrontaly a WPA-PSK based attack takes between 7-15 minutes. WPA-PSK is safer then wep though . the better way is to have a server at you house WPA2 with radius :)

Since WPA rotates it's algorithms about every 8-10 minutes there is no problem then, is there?

Recommending that a home user with two fucking computers install a RADIUS server is the most god damn idiotic thing I've heard all week.

Since there is already a thread started on this....

I have a belkin 4 port with 54G wireless. My wifes computer has no problem loging on the wlan when it is wpa-psk, but cant seem to log on when I use WEP. My laptop is the oppisite, no problem with WEP, but has no ability to do WPA-PSK. Any way to update the wireless on my laptop so it can use WPA-PSK?

Also, I need to reset the routher about once every day or so for the wireless. My main machine is always coneected, and dosent have any problems on the lan, but other computers on the lan somtimes lose conection untill I reset. I usually have a torrent client on the main computer (sharing the shareware and freeware just to be nice)

Any ideas? Thanks