Windos XP question

Bird69

NO..... but should you need to re-install it on the same machine (say for instance if you formatted the drive due to a virus) then when you enter the key it should prompt you with a number to call microsoft. Explain to them you formatted your drive and are re-installing it. They will give you a correct activation code. :)

ive had a problem like this

I had an old computer that my brother uses. Original HD crashed with xp on it. Took it to best buy and they loaded another HD and he had to buy another XP cd. Month later that one crashed. So i built him a new computer with a new HD and used the newer xp cd on that one. It came up with a number to call and i told them my situation and they told me as long as there is only ONE computer running with that CD key that it would be fine. He gave me a huge code and it was activated.

To run Two computers on XP you will need two different disks

NO..... but should you need to re-install it on the same machine (say for instance if you formatted the drive due to a virus) then when you enter the key it should prompt you with a number to call microsoft. Explain to them you formatted your drive and are re-installing it. They will give you a correct activation code. :)

wrong.... if you have a site liscensed copy of Windows, you can put it on as many machines as you want and it will never activate :)

now Microsoft isn't too keen on giving people these liscenses but when you spend several million dollars a year with them, they tend to give it to you. If you work for a large company and are cool with the IT guys, ask them... I won't give you ours.

If youre speaking of...

Installing windows... and it saying "You have xx days to activate this product"

YES, there is a way around it. You can download a hack off the web and it takes out the activation check so youll never see it again.

No hacks, if it was going to be mine, I would, but it's going to my in laws. I think I found a trick, just need to slap in a modem and try it out. Anyone know if this works? Get your xp disc, open the I386 folder off the disk, open the "unattend.txt" file, and at the bottom is a product key, use that instead of the key that came with the disk.