Helmet question

cattmouch33

But if youve ever had a bell helmet on your head then youd never buy one... cheap stuff i tried one on at walmart just for shits and giggles. couldnt believe how shitty it felt. though that was about a year ago and it was like a 35 dollar helmet so idk.. i won't be buying on thats for sure..

bell has been making helmets forever..... they shoud get it right.

Its not the same company as it was in the past, the bell that everyone raves about dropped out of the motorcycle helmet industry awhile ago. They came back two years ago making helmets out of china or korea, can't remember which one. I have looked the star when we got them in the store. Seems decent, comes with an extra set of checkpads and a carrying case. Just depends if it fits your head structure properly. Personally if it was me I would buy a Shoei X-Eleven.

For $600, it seems a bit cheaply made when sat next to a Suomy, Shoei or Arai. Little things and not much more, but at that price, you need to realize that other helmets in that price range are more thought out and seem to address a lot of concerns both in quality and features...

Overall, it is a good choice and no matter what people say like Shoei is the best, Arai is the best, etc., you can easily find issues with about ANY helmet line no matter of $600 or $100...

Arai is hand laid fiberglass which is pretty old school vs. bag molded. Hand laid had issues in that the layering isn't consistant across the scope of the helmet. Thinner in some spots, thicker in others... Plus, the side covers create noise.

Shoei seems to do a lot right, but they don't have the helmet shapes to suit a bigger spectrum of riders like Arai has. They are slightly heavier than some of their competitiors, but overall, I like Shoei. They just don't fit me right...

Suomy is a combo of Shoei and Arai and have some great features. The side plates suck and are a pain in the ass when shield changes come about. They do get a little noisier than the others at times.

So, they all seem to lack something and therefore, cannot be addressed as best over others outside personal experience and typically, most don't get to evaluate multiple lids within the same design dates like some others do.

The bottom line? If you have $600 to spend, look at them ALL and decide based on what YOU are looking for. Graphics, protection, noise, accessories, etc. It is to suit you and not what others think you should buy.

Good luck.