A story within a picture

Science Abuse

Guys this ones easy.

A giant bird was laying in the snow about to make snow angels.

A human then dropped out of the sky(Probably with a parachute), feet first onto the birds face.

Then they walked off, the bunny was just a witness.

Come to think of it, it was probably a umbrella instead of a parachute, parachute would have left more marks.

Guest Removed
Guys this ones easy.

A giant bird was laying in the snow about to make snow angels.

A human then dropped out of the sky(Probably with a parachute), feet first onto the birds face.

Then they walked off, the bunny was just a witness.

Come to think of it, it was probably a umbrella instead of a parachute, parachute would have left more marks.

damn Mary popins

I seen something kinda funny. I was near a church during work and looked up and seen one of those fake owls (that scare pigeons away) but there was a problem pigeons all gathered near the owl (they had a ton of places to sit on that very large roof but picked to sit near that thing) I guess the owl thing doesnt work.

Back on topic, I've figured it out. There was no bunny, look at the tracks to the right, a small varmint hauling ass. Had the bird struck something, there would be a body print from the prey.

The raptor spotted the varmint, and tried to snatch it. It missed, and ended up landing feet first in the snow. It then hopped off. The tracks are of the bird itself.

I wouldn't think a bird of prey would hop that much in heavy snow. Rather, I'd think it may hop once or twice and then simply retake flight. By that pic and your theory, it would seem the bird was wading through the snow - which, though I'm no orthinologist, just seems implausible.

Also, the tracks to the right, by your theory, were made by some type of vermin. However, those "tracks" seem to begin out of nowhere - or too far away (i.e., beyond the boundaries of the picture), based on the distance between the visible tracks. (Said a bit differently, either the tracks begin out of nowhere or the vermin made a leap that would seemingly exceed it's leaping capacity, if we use those tracks that are there - and the distance between them - as our measuring stick.) Lastly, if those tracks to the right do belong to the vermin, then it would appear that the bird vastly overshot or grossly misjudged it's approach of attack - considering the location of the vermin tracks to the apparent landing point of the bird.

With all that being said, what you've come up with is completely feasible. I was just in a debating-type mood and thought I'd though in some counterpoints. No offense meant by any of it. :)

For the record, the skeptic in me still contends it's a photochop. Anyone being saavy enough to check up on this photo on Scopes or anything like that?

First of all, it is clearly the fault of the Bush administration that this bird is FORCED to hunt for food in the first place! If so much money wasn't being wasted in other parts of the world we could solve these important issues right here at home.

There is a great website for image editing, http://www.worth1000.com.

Not sure if the image in question is there or not, however, this is a good place to spend some time.

First of all, it is clearly the fault of the Bush administration that this bird is FORCED to hunt for food in the first place! If so much money wasn't being wasted in other parts of the world we could solve these important issues right here at home.

I disagree. I saw on Fox news that Rumsfeld said he has evidence that this particular bird was Syrian. This is evidence enough to show that Syria supports terrorizing bunnies, and we should invade Syria.

Ever seen a hawk catch a rabbit before? They come in at a steep angle, and flare hard just before they hit. They don't "swoop" down and scoop it up, it's more of a squash the bunny into the ground impact. There are no foot marks from the hawk because its talons are firmly imbedded into Bugs. The wings and tail make contact with the ground, and keep the bird upright. They stay there for a few seconds, while they make sure Mr. Hoppy is truly dead, then they fly off with the prey in one talon.

Hawks usually attack from the rear, if the terrain allows. Rabbits have their eyes oriented to provide good vision all around with some stereo depth up front, but every animal is blind behind, and an attack from the front is the next best choice, mainly because the rabbit can't make as much of an evasive move as it could with a broadside attack.

BTW the small tracks on the right on from a mouse. They hop on all fours in the deep snow, and are light enough not to drop through the surface.

Your observation and description of how a hawk takes it prey is very detailed and accurate. There is a mating pair of Redtails living near our home and daily I see the squirrel population makes its collective contribution to the food chain. What I don't get are the trackes leading to and/or from the impression in the snow left by the birds wings.

it's more of a squash the bunny into the ground impact.

Exactly. The rest was spot on, too, but this sentance is what makes it not apply to this specific pic. That would have happened, and the bunnies body would have left an imprint at the end of the tracks. I think he missed the mouse, and made the tracks himself.

I did let a hawk borrow my black and white timberlands the other day.

There the actual boot style ones, not the more shoe-like. So it makes since they could leave big imprints. But I told him to stay away from his instinct to snatch every little animal he see's. They were to expensive to get all bloody and talon holes in the bottom.

I tried to call and ask but he didn't answer his phone. I'll try again later and see if this was him and if so what really happened.

I'm not doubting the legitity of this picture, BUT, wouldn't a rabbit in the snow create a single oval shape. They're feet are somewhat "under" their bodys, and their belly touches the ground when they walk/run.

One more time, those tracks cannot be from a rabbit.

http://www.guidothesquid.com/hiking/l22bunnytrail.jpg