Well, eight months later, it runs.

MrMeanGreen

Guest chpmnsws6

Lookin good man!

I'm free friday and saturday now if you want to shimmy under the car and throw the tranny back in. Is a harbor frieght near us? They have a NICE tranny jack but mines 422 miles away and only like 30-40 dollars max. If not, we can always just do it the old fashion he-man way haha

I warned the neighbors beforehand, Andrew. But they drive Harleys, so it's all good :)

Chris, you're an asshole. I still love ya, Blood :p

Jerrad, you did help me get that intake and shit back in. Mucho thanks, I was trying to remember everyone who helped :o

Mike, will do. I'll call ya when it gets here.

Sam, I'll tty in a bit...

Guest cgotti
Looks good Ant. If you go over to Bill's house after you get it done wath out for women driving mini vans on Broad street. They seem to be attracted to Firebirds.

I too was glad to hear it running. It took a few trys of the key, but finally ran on it's own. Gotta love those 98 PCMs...

Once I get my WB on there and tweak the VE table, we should get it running "like stock" within in a few hours. lol

In 2004 it put down 528/536 @ 10:1 A/F (thanks MAF).

I'm hoping for 600/575 when it's dialed in this time.

Anthony, here is what I wanted to tell you. I know 98 mafs dont read 2 bar maps, but there is a way to trick the computer to use 1 bar maps. All you have to do is scale the motor down and trick the cpu into thinking that the motor is smaller then what it is and then you can use 1 bar maps all day long. You do this in the VE tables and I am surpirsed Bill didnt do that. You dont need to run speed density all the time man. Speed density is goin to cause alot of tuning issues when the weather is hot or when it gets cold. You are goin to be tuning all the time. I say put the maf back on and get it tuned so the maf makes changes to the ecu when the weather changes. I would talk to bill about this and if he doesnt know then get ahold of turner and talk to eric.

Fortunately, there's a handful of "test" '98s running serious FI well into the 8s and 9s on SD. They don't require additional tweaking for when the weather changes, everything is set.

The man responsible is what I would really call a Tuning God, although he's located in SoCal. Bill is taking over the reigns once the intial tune is here, and we've tried the MAF recalibration, it just doesn't work with the '98s and FI. No other way around it, plus by scaling down the engine size parameters, A LOT of other tables need changed as well, and that means starting from scratch for something that some of us know won't work well.

MAFs work alright for their purposes, but the amount of serious cars out there nowadays running SD is getting more and more common because of the almost limitless tuning available without having the MAF as a hurdle.

I also choose Bill because he's been doing this for years, has well over 100 vehicles under his belt, not to mention several tuning certifications through companies that provide tuning software. He's been doing this on my car for years, and I have no reason not to trust him.

Unfortunately, I also have my reservations about Eric. Feel free to take this up with me personally, as it's not for public domain. I know where I stand.

For those of you who've read this far, you get to see some vids taken tonight.

I apologize for the quality and sound. They were taken with Paul's phone, and it saved them in Quicktime format. I've converted them to .AVI format for Windows Media Player and compatible using Quicktime Pro.

You can hear the supercharger howling away, and the exhaust, lopey as it is. The sound makes it sound more like water in a bathtub, but one of the vids has an undershot of the car that sounds more like it's supposed to.

http://www.unleadedanalog.net/vids/project

Soon, very soon :)